Tenants done a runner !

patchwork59

Haven't had this problem before, so your advice welcome.

Tenant for over two years and good up until recently, got behind in rental payments, partially caught up following much chasing. Property is furnished under ast, with one month rent held by me as deposit (not in scheme, since before apr 07)

Tenant vacated witout giving us any notice, simply phoned to say had left and posted keys back through door !

They owe one months rental and should have given 1 months notice, as terms in ast. Also have left property in very dirty condition, with damage to some furniture.

Presumably I can charge them for cleaning and repairing damage, deducting this cost from deposit. Any remaining deposit can go against the month rent overdue, can I charge them also for the next month's rent, to cover the notice period ?

Are they still liable for council tax, until notice period expires?

This means they will owe about £1000, is it best to go straight to dc on no win no fee basis ?

Thanks

Haven't had this problem before, so your advice welcome.

Tenant for over two years and good up until recently, got behind in rental payments, partially caught up following much chasing. Property is furnished under ast, with one month rent held by me as deposit (not in scheme, since before apr 07)

Tenant vacated witout giving us any notice, simply phoned to say had left and posted keys back through door !

They owe one months rental and should have given 1 months notice, as terms in ast. Also have left property in very dirty condition, with damage to some furniture.

Presumably I can charge them for cleaning and repairing damage, deducting this cost from deposit. Any remaining deposit can go against the month rent overdue, can I charge them also for the next month's rent, to cover the notice period ?

YES

Are they still liable for council tax, until notice period expires?

YESas long as ast says so !

This means they will owe about £1000, is it best to go straight to dc on no win no fee basis ?

YES

Thanks

Sorry to hear this patch but i guess finding them will be the hard part here? or will the DC find them on your behalf i ask out of interest?

Also curious as to why a good tenant would leave in such a hurry - makes me very suspicious - were they in trouble? Advice is to ensure you have adequate insurance on the property in-case of repercussions, especialy if the property is empty at the moment. Always ensure your insurance covers for voids/empty properties damage for malicious damage etc.

After advising client on re-housing options i have seen some who have had to run. Dont want to worry you but i am always sceptical of what has changed when things were or appeared to be going so well.

Hope you get whats due to you :)

Sorry to hear this patch but i guess finding them will be the hard part here? or will the DC find them on your behalf i ask out of interest?

Also curious as to why a good tenant would leave in such a hurry - makes me very suspicious - were they in trouble? Advice is to ensure you have adequate insurance on the property in-case of repercussions, especialy if the property is empty at the moment. Always ensure your insurance covers for voids/empty properties damage for malicious damage etc.

After advising client on re-housing options i have seen some who have had to run. Dont want to worry you but i am always sceptical of what has changed when things were or appeared to be going so well.

Hope you get whats due to you :)

Thanks to all for your comments.

I have contact details for their relatives, from original referencing, so should give starting point for dc. They are also having their mail forwarded by PO, so can write them !!

Insurance does cover empty property - thanks for reminding me.

I dont think they were in trouble. It looks more like they were planning to leave but wanted to avoid being out of pocket on deposit - which would have inevitably been witheld, if only in part, against damage and cleaning. They probably didn't realise that they were liable for rent until notice expiry and assumed deposit covers last month rental !!

:)

Archived