Rules & Regs of fitting shower

meagain

Hi, I have tried searching on this and as far as I can gather, the fitting of a shower falls into the Part P of the electrical safety regs. Does this mean that I have to have it fitted by a certified electrician, or once it's fitted can I just get it safety checked?

Found the following on a DIY web site:

Electrical

A separate permanently connected supply must be taken from the consumer unit to the shower via a double pole linked switch with a minimum contact gap of 3mm in both poles. The switch can be a ceiling mounted pull cord type or a wall mounted switch. The switch must be readily accessible and clearly identifiable, but out of reach of a person using a fixed bath or shower, except for the cord of a cord operated switch. The wiring must be connected to that switch without the use of a plug or socket outlet.

NOTE: Where shower cubicles are located in rooms other than bathrooms, any socket outlet in that room must be situated at least 2.5 metres from the shower cubicle. The supply cable and circuit protection must conform to IEE wiring regulations and be sufficient for the amperage.

If in doubt contact a qualified Electrician or Service Engineer - Electricians

More details at http://www.diynot.com/pages/el/el055.php

Don't be tempted to bodge things Meagain. Electric showers take a lot of juice and need to be properly done.

Just get in a PAT P registered electrician in the first place and be safe and not have the worry of 'will it pass' or 'is is safe'. You can get the plumbing and box bits fitted yourself or by a plumber and some have electricians they work with to complete this type of thing so the whole job goes smoothly.

Mortitia

Archived