Using a debt collector

Mortitia

Hi all,

On advice from Rodent in this forum I've started looking a debt collection to recover the £2800+ owed by my long gone tenant M who I suspect is in still in the area. I have a CCJ and have filled out the form to enable the courts to ask him to pay. I doubt if he will. It has taken since February to get this far.

The first debt recovery firm I spoke to (in Liverpool) sound amazingly confident and their smooth talking gentleman seemed to think that they will find him and make him pay but the one off joining fee which lasts for life is a wopping £599. Depending on the wording of my AST they can recover costs as well of the individual claim as well. In 11 years of letting this is the first problem of this sort I have encountered. Is this the way to go?

Have looked at other companies too.

Does anyone have experience, advice or opinions on this.

Mortitia

Whoever you choose do some research about them on the internet ie Google them. I did use a DC that charged in advance for recovery of a £5.5k business debt and have so far received about £2k but took letters saying that unless repayments made, I'd start bankruptcy procedures, which did the trick.

Archived