Can't contact tenants. Unpaid rent. Help

Anita

I have had 4 tenants for 2 years who regularly paid money in to my bank account for the rent.

Since the beginning we have had difficulty gaining access at any time to the property. We have tried to gain entry to inspect the property on several occasions this year but each time they failed to keep the appointment. In May I made afirm appointment for both British Gas and myself to visit on 2 consecutive days.

Once again appointments missed and then the rent was missed. Since then I have been unable to contact by phone and no response to letters.

I have now issued notice 21 but I think they may have vacated premises or are not using the premises very frequently. The garden is completely overgrown.

I believe they may work away from the area.

If I suspect they have left, Can I try to gain entry?

Leave written notice at the property that you intend to do a periodic property check on a specific date and time. Explain that unless they contact you to cancel, you will use your own keys to gain access.

What happens if when you then go and do the check you find that the place is vacant ?

Thank you for this advice GPEL. I left written notice at the property previously. I went back today and tried my key (still appears empty) and it no longer works. Haven't tried to gain access myself since I handed over tenancy.

Not sure what to do next. Can I call a locksmith?

and good point Alfie I am not sure what to do if it is vacant.

If you want to gain immediate entry, then call local police and report a suspected cannabis factory ....i reckon you will have access within 30mins ...and i hope for your sake that you ahvent got one .........

This way you gain access "lawfully" ...!

I am perfectly serious about this

The Rodent

Alfie - if you gain access and it appears vacant you have to ensure you have collected evidence that points to abandonment in case they later claim unlawful eviction.

Annie - to be watertight the only way you could gain access is with a court order however if you're sure they've vacated gain entry by whatever means and take note of point above.

Thank you very much everyone. I think I'll leave another letter and try again in a few days. Then try out the suggestion.

If they don't respond to letters or calls and I suspect they have vacated then I must make sure the property is safe and isn't likely to blow up so surely that should give me good cause legally.

Only spotted a couple of cacti in the front window and a jungle in the back garden - not possible to see in through the nets so haven't yet spotted cannabis, but who knows?

Archived