electricial certificate

salavan

can anyone tell me if it is a legal requirment to have an electrical safty check certificate same as the gas check ?

also is it a legal requirment to have smoke alarms fitted, either mains or battery operated

in short,electrics no. gas yes. smoke alarms no.

but............... you have a duty to provide a safe enviroment for your tenant.

there isnt such thing as a electrical safety cert the same as a cp12 for gas, you can have a pir (periodic inspection report) done and its advised that these are done every 5 years or change of tenancy.

mains smoke alarms are required if a prop is being rewired or is a new build, battery ones cost about a fiver each and for that price i would fit them regardless!

russ

The replies given are good but you might be interested to note that there has been a case of negligence found against a landlord, under H&S legislation, who allowed smoking in his property but hadn't fitted smoke alarms and there was fire when the tenant dropped a cigarette. Goes to show that though there may not be specific legislation compeling you to do something, you can still get caught out.

in short,electrics no. gas yes. smoke alarms no.

but............... you have a duty to provide a safe enviroment for your tenant.

there isnt such thing as a electrical safety cert the same as a cp12 for gas, you can have a pir (periodic inspection report) done and its advised that these are done every 5 years or change of tenancy.

mains smoke alarms are required if a prop is being rewired or is a new build, battery ones cost about a fiver each and for that price i would fit them regardless!

russ

If the property is a new build (since about 1992 i think) it has to have mains powered smoke detecters. Battery ones will not be legal

For the cost of mains detectors (approx £20-£30) each with a ten year battery back up and interlinkable (so when one goes off the rest on circuit will as well) you would have to be some sort of fool NOT to fit an absolute min of 2 ..one hallway and one one in stairwell ....

All of my houses have this as standard ...most in fact have a heat detector in kitchen as well and at least 1 emergency light as well .....yes i know times are hard and it costs a couple of quid ...but i can then sleep soundly at night knowing i have done a "resonable" job of protecting my tenants ....

(all my HMOs have a detector/alarm in every habitable room and emergency lighting ...even tho not a legal requirement ...

We had a local LL who had 2 smoke alarms (battery op) fairly recently ...house caught fire and alarm batteries not working ...one guy died as a result ...

I do not want that on my conscience ...do you ?

Get them fitted.

Electrical test .....HMO, licensable HMO, and Homeless lets, university lists all generally require at least a basic lecky cert basically to to confirm installation is safe(periodic Inspection report) ...again for £100 ish (cert lasts 5yrs) you ,IMHO, are morally bound to make sure prop is safe ......thats £20 a year .....

Not going to break the bank is it ? ...the possible repercussions for not having one are pretty horrendous.....

Bit the bullet !!

I think it is only a matter of time before this becomes legislation ......and rightly so.....

KILLER DOORS

Most of the above is pretty useless if you have mortice locks on bedroom/escape route/front & Back doors .............if you find yourself in a house on fire in a locked room and cannot find the key to the door (including front and back doors) you are in serious trouble ..........

I sincerely hope that the HMO regs are extended to all rented property, and soon, as this is a very dangerous situation ......If having a upvc door installed request salesperson to put a key-to-pad or split spindle lock barrel in, with a thumb turn on the inside .......to replace these costs £5-£30 depending on lock barrel...

Make sure all windows you have fitted are "fire escape" windows where ever possible .

NO ...i have never had a fire at any of my props ...and hope to God i never have one ....but above are all VERY srious issues which need addressing

The Rodent

Building regs aside for new builds and installations which mandate mains powered detectors, if you want to put in your own detectors where none were fitted or required, but don't want the expense of retrospectively fitting mains alarms, there are now detectors available with 10 year batteries.

If the property is a new build (since about 1992 i think) it has to have mains powered smoke detecters. Battery ones will not be legal

is that not what i said speedtwin? :lol:

you can get mains wireless interlinking ones, you have a master and then slaves, little bit dearer but without the upheaval of running cables etc.

smokes should be fitted on every landing and one within 7 mtrs of the kitchen door and one within 3mtrs of bedroom door, usually 2 per prop is enough. the first or master should be wired to a light that is in frequent use or supplied direct from the consumer unit.

russ

Russ

have you come accross rafiki twin wire sysyem ? and if so what is your opinion ?

This is a zonal system for licensable HMO (not required for smaller basic lets)

The Rodent

i hav'nt simon, but i am sure whoever is fitting it has tried and tested them before as its him you will call in the middle of the night if the bells are going :o

russ

Archived