How much service charges are you paying?

Charpin

Hi, I just took admin responsibility for a studio-flat in london docklands. The flat is part of a larger estate. The block it is in has 6 flats and a few shops on a ground floor.

The block service charges + insurance + maintenance costs + contribution to estate charges amount to about 17% of the gross rental income (roughly £120 per month!)

It seems grossly elevated to me so i though about asking other landlords in estates how much they are paying in maintenance etc costs. If you own such a property please state the level of overall service / quality provided: low - medium - high (high being swimming pools, lifts, security etc), and the level of charges you pay as a percentage of gross rental value (the amount your tenant pays each months as oppose to how much you get back!) and the £ value. Should be interesting to compare answers.

About £100/month for flat with communal entrance (Midlands). High quality but no swimming pool or lift. Insurance is high due to proximity of flood plain. Maintenance includes security, communal lights, communal TV aerial inc Sky, gardener, regular external painting and roof inspection.

Archived