Live-In Lady

Accord

:rolleyes: This is my first experience of letting. I recently purchased a brand new three storey town house and intend to have the top floor rooms as my own with the ground floor rooms and garden all shared. Two bedrooms on the first floor will share a bathroom with one lodger/housesharer in each furnished room. It will be a three person household. Everything is brand new but I will be bringing in some of my own electrical gadgets. Will I need to get these checked and obtain an electricity safety certificate for these e.g. liquidiser etc. in addition to the other new electrical equipment which I have put into the property?

There is a gas boiler and I have a Corgi certificate for the safety of that as it has been newly installed and will need to be renewed in one year. The gas hob for the cooker was installed by the kitchen fitters though. There are no other gas appliances in the house. Will I still need to get a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate from a Corgi engineer in this case? I think it is a bit of a grey area as I am living there too but any useful advice or information would be welcome.

Many Thanks, Sharon H.

No Sharon you don't need a certificate but might like one. Firstly you would be a landlord in residence and not created an AST and secondly the installation would be less than 12 months old so no mandatory requirement so long as you have installation certificates from CORGI fitters. I'm pretty certain that LL in res don't need the gas check doing.

No Sharon you don't need a certificate but might like one. Firstly you would be a landlord in residence and not created an AST and secondly the installation would be less than 12 months old so no mandatory requirement so long as you have installation certificates from CORGI fitters. I'm pretty certain that LL in res don't need the gas check doing.

Thanks very much. I was just concerned that the gas cooker hob was not fitted by the Corgi registered engineer who fitted the boiler but I think it is only a case of one attachment being made as all the pipes etc. should have been installed by the Corgi fitter. Everything seems to be working well anyway so you have reassured me. Actually I have just looked at another response and they have said that the gas cooker hob might need a certificate even if I have a certificate from the boiler fitter. I will check my paperwork again and find out what exactly comes under the Corgi fitters remit.

Sharon H.

Bit of an amendment, a gas certificate is required for properties where the landlord is resident but not if the installation is less than 12 months old and fitted by a CORGI engineer. If you have the correct certs, you won't need a gas check for 12 months from the date of the certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
No Sharon you don't need a certificate

a gas certificate is required

Bit of an amendment :lol: more like a complete U turn Gpel, lol

I should explain further the Gas Safety (installations and Use) Regulations, regulation 36 require and landlord to have their gas appliances checked if they let a property on a lease not exceeding 7 years, periodic tenancy or let out on a licence. So in sharons case as a resident landlord she lets a room on a licence.

Archived