Single and Joint Tenancies for room by room Letting

CH1

I recently bought a tenanted property, which is currently let on a Joint tenancy on a room-by-room basis only till the end of the month.

I was hoping to do the same again i.e. have a joint tenancy between 3-4 individuals and I did have 3 people lined up to take prop. who let me down at the last minute! So I'm now in a hurry to let the 3 rooms as soon as possible by the end of the month when current T's leave.

My problem is the house is currently messy as T's still in there – I am about to do some maintenance e.g. carpets and double glazing. I've had a call from a prospective T today who wants a room tomorrow! He's been in the country last 3 years and is starting a job in the city. One of my T's has sort of moved out –as I know the room is empty could I let to this person even though officially the previous contract has not finished? Don't think I would get much on Credit/reference check on International people, is it worth doing? Also the current T who has more or less moved out has not yet paid me June's rent so it's late. If I could take this new T on it'd mean I wouldn't be able to do joint tenancy like I was trying to do so that all could start on 1 July for example –the joint tenancy just makes it easier. Alternatively as the house does need some work doing if I have no T's lined up I could take the opportunity to do the required works from 1 July and the search for new T's –though it's mean I'd have a void.

Can only offer a pessimistic view really.

The guy has been in the country 3 yrs, starting a job and wants to move in immediately, sorry mate this absolutely stinks of trouble to me.

As said many times on here a void period is better than a dodgy tenant. I would implore you to make sure the referencing and credit checks are satisfactory before taking on anyone. The easy and quick solution - I fell for that one once and it cost me dearly.

Personally, i would have the work done and start the whole thing afresh, I know it's not my money but if you are having carpets & double glazing done plus no doubt some painting would a short void period make any difference.

It does appear that it's possible to start, at least some of, the work now.

Cheers

Selkirk

Yes, don't be too casual about this prospective tenant that's been in the country for only 3 years.

Also. I'm always weary when a prospective tenant wants to move in immediately, are they running away from anything?

If you haven't already, ask some questions, where has he/she been living, working over the last three years?

I wouldn't be happy unless there was some previous work references in the very least, and preferably, a previous a landlord reference too if that's possible, as I know alot of immigrants sub-let to friends for extra money so he/she may not officailly have lived in their previous accommodation.

Of course, this prospective tenant could be fine, but a few weeks of void is better than months of aggro, as I've been there myself.

Also, I personally insist on taking 5.5 weeks deposit instead of 4 weeks, this puts off some of the dodgy tenants who often bunk off without giving any notice, (working their deposit down regardless of any damage left).

I would definately ask which company in the city the new job is, then ring there HR department to double check it's correct. If that's correct, I would then ask the tenant to supply a work reference stating tenant's salary, again just to be on the safe side.

If you explain about the maintenance work beforehand, then u could start shipping new tenant's in.

Many overseas workers have only been in-country for a short time and, in my experience, good tenants, so long as the ground-rules are understood. Having been in the country 3 years, your referencing will include proof of address checks, previous agent/landlord check and job offer confirmation from the employer. Though a foreign worker, you can do quite a few checks due to length of time here already.

Simple answer here ....

If you need too move in immediately then not a problem ....

BUT

If i cant get you referenced b4 you move in then you are going to have to pay 6 mths rent up front and a double bond ( all in cash/cleared funds) B4 i can let you move in ....if references come back okay then i will refund 5 mths rent and reduce bond holding back to normal single level (which like Reg is more then one month's rent ...1.25 x is my norm ....plus more if i feel situation warrants it).

Do you need a lift to the bank to with draw funds right now, or did you want to wait 48 hours for referencing to go thru ?

NEXT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rodent

Thanks for your advice everyone. In the end the international T didn't call the next day so I assume he found somewhere!

I've decided to get the remedial works done on property as current T's are leaving end of month. I will then re-advertise it.

I want to rent on a room-by-room basis on a joint tenancy (single AST) but am finding it difficult to find 3 people who all want the same start date. I feel it would be complicated having separate AST's? in terms of T's dealing with bills if each one moves in/out on different dates? How do you best deal with room by room lets?

Lastly, I am struggling to get rent from previous landlord (as I bought property with tenants) they keep saying they will send it but it's been almost 2 months! My solicitor has written to them but no reply. I am also finding it difficult to prove the condition of the property and its contents as I was not supplied with an Inventory from start date of current T –previous landlord who is Letting agent also eventually supplied me with an Inventory that was done mid way through the tenancy not at start –so that's not valid.

Archived