Charge against deposit

helenp

I wish to show my property to prospective tenants during the last month but the current tenants are very messy. The mess is just surface level but I think the state of the place will put people off.

I want to send them a letter to remind them that the place should be presentable at all times and that if they don't a charge may be taken against the deposit. My partner has told me that we would not be able to do this because this type of charge is not explicitly stated in the tenancy agreement.

I suppose I've got 2 questions:

1. Can a charge be made against a deposit for adddtional time taken to relet a property because their refusal to keep the place tidy (eg. 1/2 week after tenancy endfor readvertising and showing); and

2. Do all types of charge have to be specified in the tenancy agreement?

I wish to show my property to prospective tenants during the last month but the current tenants are very messy. The mess is just surface level but I think the state of the place will put people off.

I want to send them a letter to remind them that the place should be presentable at all times and that if they don't a charge may be taken against the deposit. My partner has told me that we would not be able to do this because this type of charge is not explicitly stated in the tenancy agreement.

I suppose I've got 2 questions:

1. Can a charge be made against a deposit for adddtional time taken to relet a property because their refusal to keep the place tidy (eg. 1/2 week after tenancy endfor readvertising and showing); and

2. Do all types of charge have to be specified in the tenancy agreement?

Archived