burn mark on kitchen worktop

heebs

Hello...i am showing new tenants round my 4 bed house...the house is currently tenanted room by room to unrelated tenants.

today i saw a large burn mark on the cream kitchen worktop..probably made by a hot pan..even though i provided very smart metal pan mats on the worksurface..which they obviously didnt use

Now..who do i charge..i have left notes..voicemails..and even txt each tenant..but no one even responding....

any idea what i do as i want to rent out the whole house to prof tenants..and now the kitchen worktop is ruined with mark....

any thoughts how much this will cost me and who i charge this to...the contracts they all signed clearly states that any damage to common areas will be chargable to all equally if person responsible doesnt come forward.

please advise...im so upset...hate having to take money from tenants deposit..and havent taken more than £35 yet .

:(

Heebs

it would appear that you have answered your own question very clearly !!!

the contracts they all signed clearly states that any damage to common areas will be chargable to all equally if person responsible doesnt come forward.

The reality is that when this is enforced someone will grass up the offener so not to pay for damage not created by them ..

Be strong and firm .....and fair

The Rodent

That's a great clause to have, either way you are covered and you must pursue. I also do not like this kind of thing, but you have a genuine issue and as long as you do not profiteer out of it and claim your actual costs even providing receipts where neccesary, most tenants will be understanding and if not... tough, isn't it. Perhaps they'll use their next landlords pot stand!

Archived