Arrogant Tenant Expects a Refund!?

pugsy

Hi all. Any takes on this? Say you've got a property that's let out for £1000 pcm. New Tenant moves in, apparently they expected cutlery, crockery, etc. but there wasn't any, only microwave, bread bin, kettle, stuff like that. Prior to this, during 2 viewings they never queried it and the agent never mentioned it, me not aware of any issues. Instead of contacting us about it, at which point I'd be really accomodating, put in a quick Tesco Direct or Argos order and have it delivered direct to them at my cost - they go out and manage to spend £240.00 on crockery and cutlery. (Bear in mind this is the one I've just put a TV in for, duh! never learn do I!) Then they hand my agent the receipts demanding a refund. What do I do? I think this is totally unacceptable. Anyone got any opinions? Thanks.

The property was let as seen and you're under no obligation to provide anything more unless with prior agreement. Did they mention their expectation beforehand to anyone of consequence? I would say that I'm under no obligation to pay for this but as a gesture of goodwill would pay half.

Was there an inventory or description of contents done at time of letting ? If such items were not mentioned or discussed I don’t see why you should foot the bill for items that were never there to start with or part of original Let.

The problem is everyone’s idea of furnished is different -some apartments are fully furnished down to crockery but if this were the case it would have been mentioned by you or agent. Is the agent managing it? What do they say?

Exactly, let as seen, inventory given in advance. It's just another T thinking that they hold all the cards, it's so annoying. For a start I'd have kitted the kitchen at about 25% of the cost and it would have looked fabulous, it would have looked like it all came from Debehnames or John Lewis, only it wouldn't have and no one would know the difference. But they've shopped 'til they dropped and are expecting their Debenhams bills reimbursed, without even checking first! :ph34r:

I've told the managing agent that it's not acceptable, if anything they're partly to blame, so let's see where it goes.

There's usually more to this type of thing than meets the eye. It's called betterment and you don't have to provide it. Now recall the TV discussion and I think they need the riot act read to minimize further demands. In hindsight of the TV provision, I wouldn't offer anything as a good will gesture. I would expect the agent to make things quite clear to them and explain to the tenants that if they are unhappy with this they should seek advice from CAB or a solicitor. Stand your ground.

If it's not on the inventory then I don't know how they can expect these things to be included.

Giving in to this demand, will surely degenerate into the tenant asking for re-imbursement of toilet paper, shampoo and hair gel...... on a weekly basis!

I agree with GPEL they need it laid down to them so they don't continue to take the p*ss.

I have a few HMOs and the lines are a bit blurred as to what you should or shouldn't provide. When first letting a house if the first tenants request cutlery etc I would buy it.......from Tescos/argos or Asda. The cost will be about 20 quid and as you say, will look exactly the same. The tenants even said I'd bought too much for them, so I had half of it.

But on a "normal" let I wouldn't entertain it. To be honest I wouldn't provide a kettle as they will need to be tested yearly.....pain in the bum when a kettle/toaster only costs a fiver....not efficient use of money for Landlord to provide and then have to maintain.

Ciao!

If it's not on the inventory then I don't know how they can expect these things to be included.

Giving in to this demand, will surely degenerate into the tenant asking for re-imbursement of toilet paper, shampoo and hair gel...... on a weekly basis!

I agree with GPEL they need it laid down to them so they don't continue to take the p*ss.

I have a few HMOs and the lines are a bit blurred as to what you should or shouldn't provide. When first letting a house if the first tenants request cutlery etc I would buy it.......from Tescos/argos or Asda. The cost will be about 20 quid and as you say, will look exactly the same. The tenants even said I'd bought too much for them, so I had half of it.

But on a "normal" let I wouldn't entertain it. To be honest I wouldn't provide a kettle as they will need to be tested yearly.....pain in the bum when a kettle/toaster only costs a fiver....not efficient use of money for Landlord to provide and then have to maintain.

Ciao!

thanks guys. I feel like if it was requested or queried by the agent or prospective tenant I'd have come through for them. But this is just taking the p*** after the TV and I've made it clear to the agent that there's no more give on my part, you're all right, otherwise, what next...

Pugsy ...where do you find them !!?

Tv .....now you are responsible for TV license !

I sometimes have to inform T that NO i do not supply : light bulbs, toilet roll, BBQ coal, washing up liquid, dish clothes , bedding and a million other things !

Same as Matt ...if it is in the house (and on the inventory) then great use it .....if it is not then Tesco's is down the road ...end of ...

The Rodent

Archived