Energy Performance Certificates

gibson little

I have recently heard that from October it will be mandatory for landlords to make energy performance certificates available to tenants. Does anyone know how much these will cost and will it apply to all rented properties - we have a number of HMOs and in these properties the tenants are not responsible for paying any of the bills.

Will we need them for HMOs? The tenants are paying rent which includes all bills so are not interested in how energy efficient a property is. We will be paying out for something the tenants wont even bother looking at and will have no bearing on whether they rent from us or not. At the moment it just seems as if this will be yet another added cost for us with no advantage!

I have 2 HMOs and when I looked into it I found that at the moment HMOs will not require the energy performance certificates.

The reasoning was not that the tenants don't pay the bills, but that they would need to assess each room individually and may find this difficult in huge HMO blocks. This suggests that if they can find a way, you may in the end need one per room. This would be ridiculous as the tenants don't pay the bills, but hey!

Archived