TV Licence and Tenant

pugsy

This seems an odd request, they could rent one.

Being the pessimist.

My worry would be if they’re making weird requests now they'll probably come up with something else later that they’re not happy about and possibly stop paying the rent because of it, sorry but danger flags are appearing for me.

Other than that you could say you will supply the TV providing they supply you with a copy of the TV licence each year and make sure it’s stated in the tenancy agreement.

cheers

Tell them no TV or ditch the enquiry, unless the TV is an old one and you don't mind paying for repairs or consequences of being damaged beyond repair; you won't be able to insure it. If they're objectionable when you say no TV it's likely they're going to be overly demanding. If provided, ensure responsibility for the license is spelt out in the agreement.

What kind of TV is he after?

I would probably just buy a cheap one (I know a year ago you could get a 21/22" for about £80, may be cheaper now), and give it to him as a gift...i.e. not on the inventory, so you won't need to repair or be liable for TV licence....or you could buy a £40 14" TV.

Depends on what the rent is and how long term he wants to rent for, but £80 on a monthly rent of say £800, it's worth doing it.

Ciao!

Yes, if a TV is provided state that it is on a non-repairing basis, with the tenant holding responsibility to license. I would still wonder why he is still hung up about the provision of one, can't he afford his own, if not what else can't he afford.

Thanks for your replies, I don't really want to put one in, but's it's quite high end and the people are on a temporary work thing, so i guess i should try to accomodate them. It sounds like i definately need a clause in the TA though. Cheers all.

Archived