couincil tax liability

laverda

Just been informed that my local couincil has changed the rules on couincil tax As soon as a tenant moves out the liability is with the landlord that is from the next day even if property is empty. The old rules used to be propertys were exempt for 6 months if unocupied and unfurnished . Seems a bit unfair as ther is often a few weeks between lets that the landlord is now having to pay council tax for . Has anyone else heard of this, are all councils using these new rules and are there any exeptions

Just been informed that my local couincil has changed the rules on couincil tax As soon as a tenant moves out the liability is with the landlord that is from the next day even if property is empty. The old rules used to be propertys were exempt for 6 months if unocupied and unfurnished . Seems a bit unfair as ther is often a few weeks between lets that the landlord is now having to pay council tax for . Has anyone else heard of this, are all councils using these new rules and are there any exeptions

Not for me. Just before Xmas I got exemption based on unfurnished and unlet. Got 6 months straight away, just needed to let them know when it was re-let, which in my case was 4 days later.

Note, that the property must be unfurnished 'class c'

Dwellings which fall into one of the following classes will be exempt from council tax.

ClassDescription

A) Unoccupied and unfurnished properties which require or are undergoing structural alteration or major repairs (exempt for up to six months after completion of works). For a maximum period of 12 months.

:( Unoccupied properties which are owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months).

C).Unoccupied and unfurnished properties (exempt for up to 6 months).DUnoccupied properties left empty by a person in detention.

E)Unoccupied property left empty by a person living in a hospital or care home.

F)Unoccupied property awaiting probate or letters of administration to be granted (for up to six months after grant).

G)Unoccupied property where occupation is prohibited by law.

H)Unoccupied property held available for a minister of religion.

I) Property left unoccupied by a person receiving care.

J)Providing left unoccupied by a person providing care

K)Property left unoccupied by a student.

L)Repossessed propertyMCollege/University Halls of Residence.

N)Property occupied solely by full time students.

O)Armed forces accommodation.

P)Visiting forces accommodation.

Q)Property left empty by a bankrupt.

R)An unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring.

S)Property occupied only by people under the age of 18.

T)Unoccupied annexes or properties situated within the curtilage of another dwelling.

U)Properties occupied solely by those who are severely mentally impaired.

V)Diplomats property.WAnnex occupied by a dependent relative.

• 2 weeks later...

This one been nagging in the back of my mind since i read it ......

Having now re-read it, it is kinda right but confused ...

Liability remains with T until end of ast or "legal" and "documentated" vacation ie end of fixed term on notice served...

The prop then immediatley becomes the LL responsibilty BUT......

AS clearly stated by Mr freefall various dscounts and exemptions CAN and often do apply .....as shown .....

There are, however, a couple of "queer" exceptions to the exemptions .....

If T left early and claimed 6 mths emtpy un occ unfurn then the allowance for the prop has been "used up" and cannot be "refreshed" within any 12 mth period ....

If your prop was occ immediately prior to you taking back possession then get exemtion backdated and invoice rebilled at 100% dis (furn) or 50% dis (unfurn)

S

If your prop was occ immediately prior to you taking back possession then get exemtion backdated and invoice rebilled at 100% dis (furn) or 50% dis (unfurn)

Would that not be:

100% dis (unfurn) or 50% dis (furn) ?

3.42AM ! blimey it must of been nagging don't you sleep ?

cheers

• 3 months later...

I have just bought a property to let, and have got a council tax bill, before i've even got the keys for the property (long nightmare story, but i'm still working on getting the keys). Anyway, this is my first property, and i haven't got a clue about CT liability. There is some basic furniture and appliances in the property, what am i liable for? Advice would be appreciated, thank you.

my local council in barnsley still give up to six months for a new tenant to move in then review situation again touch wood never had to have it reviewed yet

gaz3845

Hi rob's doll !!

You are reaponsible for CT from completion date ....however if prop is:

unfurnished and unoccupied AND previous owner hasn't used 6mths of exemtion up already then you can apply to exempt for 6 mths ...there are various other circumstances for exemtion ...ask Local council for copy of exemption and discount details

The Rodent

Archived