Replacement shower

F-Prop

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty with one of my tenants. The shower broke just before Christmas, he's always paid on time and there have not been any major problems so I said I would replace it.

The old shower was a wall mounted mixer shower, I got a new mixer shower but could not fit it because the pipes in the wall needed altering and that meant smashing tiles off (I don't have any spares) and generally making a mess. I even went to two plumbers merchants but they could not sell me either an adaptor for the pipes, or a shower with the correct fittings (the old shower went obsolete some time ago)

My only option was to fit a new set of bath taps with shower attachment but it isn't temperature controlled.

Now he's going nuts claiming it is cheap and rubbish and demanding I fit "a proper one" He tells me he has got legal advice and he will force me to fit a "like-for-like" shower (i.e. wall mounted, temperature controlled), despite me telling him how much mess it's going to be to alter the pipes. He's also not paying rent until I do :( (Idle threat probably)

Can anyone advise, do I have to fit a "like-for-like" shower, or is what I have done good enough??

Many thanks,

Trevor.

You can get legal advice from a magazing in Smiths, it doesn't mean much without context. Witholding rent is not acceptable and also disproportionate. You should provide an equivalent facility (ie a shower) but not a like-for-like if excessively expensive. Explain that you will do what is practical and affordable but will not tolerate ultimatum's of this nature. If this is not acceptable to him serve notice and claim outstanding rent through routes available.

Thanks for the swift reply!

His daughter is a solicitor but I know he is full of empty threats so I'm not too worried, more concerned about his smug grin if he gets his way and I come back to change it!

As far as I'm concerned it is a working shower, however I do have the mixer shower that I bought first, if I can get a suitable adaptor for the pipes then it won't cost much more to fit it. I said I would look into this again, but I have asked at two plumbers merchants already so I don't hold out much hope.

Trevor.

have you not got a plumber that can have a look for you, where there's a will there's a way.

he might have a trade secret up his sleeve you haven't thought of but if you want an omlette, you have to break some eggs :(

i would be i bit miffed if i had a nice tempreature controlled mixer shower one day and then a set of bath taps with a shower attachment the next. (has someone ever flushed the toilet whilst your were using one :blink: )

i always fit mira showers as they are the only company i know of that stocks parts for 25 years!

russ

Holding rent ...i can feel the hairs on the back of my neck starting to prickle ...NO WAY HOSE..

As for shower i would try to put back something a little better thab a mixer tap shower but fully understand you feelings having a pratt wielding a big stick...

My suggestion ...break a few tiles and replace making a feature out of it ...maybe a tile with a photo of your right hand with your middle finger raised in a vertical plain !

Simon

My suggestion ...break a few tiles and replace making a feature out of it ...maybe a tile with a photo of your right hand with your middle finger raised in a vertical plain !

I like your style! :(

I think I might have sorted something out now. I've got adaptors to fit on the pipes but it's going to push the shower away from the wall, just need to find a way of fixing it securely otherwise my tenant will be "accidentally" pulling it off the wall! :blink:

Trevor.

Archived