lodger problem advice needed

kittykatkins

I had lodger for two years in my flat. (no contract)In August I decided that I wanted to buy a house. I gave my lodger the option of moving to the house with me, staying at the flat and getting another tenant (havent sold flat) or moving on. She viewed the room at the house and decided to move with me. She decided she wanted a smaller bed which I bought,she also stated that she would like sky installed in her bedroom and she verbally agreed to pay the additional multiroom charge of £10 per month. When it came to moving she packed none of her stuff in shared areas, and moved only her clothes on move day and left me to move all of her own furniture. Six days after moving she announced that she didnt like the room and was moving out.I was angry at her behaviour and told her so.she moved out whilst I was at work without notification two days later.She did not leave the keys. I received a letter for return of deposit stating that the keys would be returned "in due course" I have since had locks changed. to date have not received the keys.

Can I withold the money for sky rental in a room that I cannot use?

And rental money to cover notice period?

Can I take money for removal cost?

Where do either of us stand with no contract? - silly I know but you live and learn.

Please help I had an abusive threatening legal action phone call from her mother this evening who I believe paid her rent for her. deposit was £325

In short, deduct the costs you incurred meeting requests placed on you, such as SKY for min period or room is re-let. Doesn't look like there is a notice period so no deduction for that if no contract. You moved her furniture or was it yours for her room, if so your cost. Why can't you use the room, it's not an AST? You can re-let the room with SKY as a bonus. Cut your losses and move-on, your main gripe is that she let you down and want compensation for hurt feelings. I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on without an agreement.

Thanks for your reply. I am not planning to re let the room. Lodger was also aware of this. can I claim the full £120 for minimum SKY contract? It was her furniture not mine that was moved. I verbally agreed a months notice period with her when she moved in does this carry any weight ? What are her legal rights without a contract ?She gave me a verbal months notice.

A verbal agreement still forms a contract the trouble is proving the terms if challenged so notice period should be provided but problematic if goes to court. I'd also argue that the SKY contract is a cost incurred through no fault of your own. The rest I'd drop unless you need to bolster a counter claim.

Archived