Merry Christmas!

plym77

Hi all

I will be back in the New Year to answer any of your burning tax questions but will be on Annual Leave now until early January, so I just wanted to wish all forum members a Very Merry Christmas!!

Enjoy the break!!

Best wishes

Sherena

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

I will be back in the New Year to answer any of your burning tax questions but will be on Annual Leave now until early January, so I just wanted to wish all forum members a Very Merry Christmas!!

Enjoy the break!!

Best wishes

Sherena

new new rental, please advise me on tax issues, the rental just covers my morgage do i still pay tax on the property.

regards dawn

Hi Dawn

You pay tax on your rental profits. Your rental profits are your rental income, less expenses. Expenses are typically repairs, utilities (if you pay them), accontancy, wear and tear (is furnished), insurances and mortgage interest, amongst others. Please however be aware that it is only mortgage interest and not the whole repayment (if this includes capital) that is allowable. There are other expenses too that are available, but it really would depend on your circumstances.

You will be required to prepare a self assessment tax return each year reporting all of your income (not just the rental). The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April next and your tax liability would be payable 31 January following the end of the year of assessment. You may also be required to pay payments on account due towards the following tax years liability.

Finally on sale of the property you may have to pay capital gains tax on any profit made.

I hope this helps. if you are looking for any specific advice or assistance, please do feel free to email me to discuss this further.

Regards

Sherena

Archived