Piano

emhaddad30

Do I have the right to remove something from the property that appears on the inventory?

I have been renting a furnished flat to tenants while I was working abroad. I am now home and wish to take my piano from the property. However, the tenant says she plays it "occasionally" and her sister plays it when she visits and they are "quite fond of it" - so she is basically saying she won't let me have it. Do I have a right to take it? Or to give them a certain period of notice and then take it?

Crikey, that seems rather unreasonable! Is an inventory that binding? Does 'furnished' have an official definition? Wouldn't the piano be seen as a non-essential item in the eyes of the law (if it really came to that), therefore exempt. Seems a bit unfair not having the right to modify the inventory with regards to aesthetics - some old picture, a vase, a lampshade...! Would this tennant really have the gall to 'fight' over an old joanna?!

I think it is a bit out of order to take the piano out if the tenants still want it. It was there when they viewed, and they moved in based on what was there at the time.

For a piano enthusiast, that could have made them choose it over another property.

I for one, would not be happy with this if I were the tenant, and would be looking for a rent reduction as compensation, allbeit maybe only 20 quid per month.

Archived