Landlords must replace battery powered alarms

Matthew

Hi,

It seems this is coming in in Scotland, and I suspect it will be rolled out in Britain soon, so.....

I am looking at getting an electric certificate, and may require an electrician to do a bit of work to make a few improvements, is it worth getting new smoke alarms fitted to the mains at the same time? It is a 2 storey HMO. How much do we think this should cost in labour and hardware?

Also, what is everybody else doing?

Regards,

Mat.

Personally i go over spec with them as i have am paranoid about something going wrong and people not being able to get out in time

ALWAYS use mains operated (with battery back up) smokes in bedrooms and common areas ....heat detectors in kitchens and interlink them (so when one goes off they all do ) ...i put break glasses in at exits as well (even though not "required" my guess is that they soon will be ) when installing new windows i make sure that they are designed in such a way that you can get thru them (where possible) i dont do "top openers" unless it is low enough and big enough to get thru!!!!

Cost is going to vary wildly ...Mat ...i had 2 smokes and 1 heat fitted in a flat which cost me £300 but had no choice at the time cos someone wanted to move in the day after i had bought it ...

Normally i would expect to pay approx £10-£15 per unit £20 on cable(TLC or BDS) and around £100 lab depending on how easy it is to fit (furnished /occ /carpets etc)

You could probably fit yourself then get a spark in to test and cert it ....

Simon

hi matthew

personally i would as simon says fit hard wired ones, but, i would only interlink them if it was a very simple job or doing a full rewire, the regs are (of the top of my head) 3mtrs from bedroom doors, 7 mtrs for kitchen interlinked and thats about it, usually one on each landing is enough, but thats for a rewire or new build, if its just an add on i wouldnt bother with the interlink, better to have them not linked than not have them at all!

not to sure about the req in an HMO, but if you want me to find out i can.

cost wise...........how long is a piece of string.

russ

Hi

I too am upgrading some of my blocks of flats to mains smoke with battery back up.

I shopped around and can get mains optical smoke with back up for £13 even on an individual basis. They will interlink with each other and to heat detectors.

Don’t get ripped off especially if your buying loads.

If you find them cheaper let me know I am buying in batches as spark completes each block.

Oliver

Thanks, really helpful. I will get a sparky around and give you details of the quote, and show him this printed out.

Thanks Russ, the more info the better. I looked around a while back to work out the regs I needed to meet for an HMO, nothing seemed that clear for a 2 storey unlicenced one with 6 bedrooms......But I came to the conclusion from several sources that one on each landing was required and that Firedoors were not. I hope this was right?

Thanks,

Mat.

Mat try this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fir...arms/index.html

S

Ps would be very surprised if "no fire doors was acceptable" ......call local council/website and check out .....cos i think you will need to do some updgrading mate ........all walls ceilings/walls/doors 30 min .intumescent strips, door closers,fire extinquishers, min room size, protected gas, electrics, georgian glass, thumb locks,...... etc and quite a few more details .......sorry !

ADVICE: call private sector housing team or HMO team (dont give your name!) and find out ...like quickly !

S

Thanks.

The problem is that nobody seems to be clear about it. I can't seem to find anything set in stone regarding a 2 storey HMO, and what is actually required.

When I originally spoke to the council they just didn't have a clue.

I found something last time I looked in the 2004 housing act, which I thought said that if it is 2 story HMO, the doors have to be closely fit and an alarm in the hallway/landings.

I've had a look this morning and can't find anything set in stone, only for Licencable.

I'm not convinced about all this as the property is a council house and has lowish ceilings. This means that the tenants can easilty jump out of any Window without any problems.

Also, if I do fit alarms in every room and hallway, how often do I need to get them tested and how much will it cost?

At least with my Licenable HMO I know what is expected of me.

Thanks,

Mat.

"Cant quote the regs, but ive just done a HMO and i had to fit a full on fire alarm system.

Combined sounder detectors in each bedsit set to rising heat, combined sounder detectors on each communal landing/hallway set to smoke, call point on each landing and at every fire exit and a contorl panel readily accesible.

Emergency lighting to cover entire fire escape route."

got this reply, matthew, also suggested to get in touch with fire officer

russ

Archived