flat broken into

heebs

Hello All

I am a 2 month old landlord....i gave a ground floor flat WITH CURTAINS... the tenants didnt put net curtains or blinds and their laptops etc were in full view of passing public...they rang to say they have had a break in and we have to replace their window immediately...the burglars didnt break the glass...they crow barred the frame open instead and damaged the window...this is a huge cost to us and we would like some advice on whether we are responsible for footing the bill even though its been the tenants carelessness...we have paid for it to be secured shut.,..but are putting off the replacement til summer as the window is huge and so will be the cost i presume.

any thoughts...advice...

thanks in advance

heebs

I think you will find that it will be your responsibility ........you could claim on insurance for damage to prop ....but wouldn't entertain cost of their laptops ....

I would put net curtains in at your expense to discourage similar activities in the future and tell T to exercise common sense and keep valubles out of sight ....

S

PS at 2 months old my kids couldn't even walk or talk let alone buy and manage a prop ! LOL

I think you will find that it will be your responsibility ........you could claim on insurance for damage to prop ....but wouldn't entertain cost of their laptops ....

I would put net curtains in at your expense to discourage similar activities in the future and tell T to exercise common sense and keep valubles out of sight ....

S

PS at 2 months old my kids couldn't even walk or talk let alone buy and manage a prop ! LOL

Thanks rodent..the tenants took out their own contents insurance.the flat is insured in the service charge...ie buildings insurance...this is the only insurance we pay for ...can i claim cost of repair to windows through this??/,,,i am really clueless..being only 2 months old n all.....

Archived