sub letting tenant

russ295

hi,

i have a two storey small commercial shop, its rented to two girls, one uses upstairs the other down, my wife called in and there was a sign on the door saying room to rent, asked her about it and she said she isnt very busy and is paying her half of the rent out of her pocket, the wife told her she cant rent it as it dont belong to her to rent and any tenant would have to be vetted by us and any lease would be with us not her.

in the lease it states no subletting, am i being unreasonable as she aint too happy.

cheers

russ

No you are not being unreasonable . Tenant should not sub let and that is the end of it . I know of a man and his wife who are getting their rent paid for by housing benifits as neither work or ever have worked and are sub letting rooms out this has been reported to housing benifits six months ago but nothing has been done about it this makes my blood boil they are breaking all the rules and making a profit at landlords and taxpayers expence. I think this is quite comon and often done behind landlords back I would send a writen warning that they are not allowed to sub let and if it continues they will be evicted for breaking terms of tenancy. How can landlords stop this from hapening ???

Lavy

"and are sub letting rooms out this has been reported to housing benifits six months ago but nothing has been done about it"

Tell these guys to increase the rent for the initial Tenant.

I beg to differ,

They have negated the initial AST anyway by subletting

I'd increase the rent by the amount they are subletting for and let them take me to court.

I beg to differ,

They have negated the initial AST anyway by subletting

I'd increase the rent by the amount they are subletting for and let them take me to court.

Not a prayer .......ast is not negated ...just a "term" not adhered to...

Or are we now going to say that late or non payment of rent is a "negated ast" and we can then do what we like ???

Get serious !!

S

Not a prayer .......ast is not negated ...just a "term" not adhered to...

Or are we now going to say that late or non payment of rent is a "negated ast" and we can then send do what we like ???

Get serious !!

S

OK, Maybe negated is the wrong word, might renege suit you better?

Either way I'd take my chances on this one!!!

Archived