Choosing a carpet

Catherine

I am organising for the carpets to be replaced in the flat i rent out in London. My agent (v reliable) has sent over some carpet samples -some are 80:20 wool:nylon and some are 100% wool. I only like the 100% wool carpet but some people have said these aren't as good as wool:nylon combinations. Can any one give me some good advice? It is only for a 1 bedroom flat (bedroom and living room). Thanks :(

Not sure about the wool to nylon thing, but personally I wouldn't spend to much on carpet, so don't go for anything expensive.

The main thing I would say is go for a carpet with a bit of colour variation, I find a mocha carpet with a fleck in it seems to not show stains and age well.

Ciao!

The main thing I would say is go for a carpet with a bit of colour variation, I find a mocha carpet with a fleck in it seems to not show stains and age well.

Ciao!

Reminds me of my cousin who has a flat in SE London.

1 tenants boyfriend committed suicide ...not in the flat.

Another went to her mums one evening while her father and brother used the flat. Met someone they knew and beat him and stabbed him, brought him back and used the Carpet to take his body away where they were going to throw him off a tower block. Police car driving by thought it strange 2 guys carrying a carpet at 10pm on a weekend night and stopped them with guy inside.

Cousin had to clean flat himself and said you don't realise how much blood can come out and where it will go.

He just seemed unlucky for a few years with that flat.

Then again got 2 French girls as tenants and asking for references, one was working with a City of London Wine shop, boss said while he didn't know the girl well he had traded with her father for 25 years buying wine from his vineyard based on a handshake and believed girl was a chip from old block. He got flat back in an immaculate condition.

my oh my!!

odecar??

WHAT exactly reminded you of all this stuff??

was it the 'bit of colour variation' or the 'mocha carpet with a fleck in it ' haha

I too am struggling to find the link :-)

I wasn't thinking of disguising blood stains so please take note:

If your debt collection policy is to shoot your tenant if they are 10 days late with payment, please for god sakes get a RED carpet! The Mocha carpet with the fleck just aint gonna do the trick!

haha :rolleyes:

Although if I was a Tenant, 10 days late and the LL came at me with a gun I think the Mocha carpet would hide all sorts of bodily fluids that WOULD be exiting my body!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree, my first couple of properties, lovingly decked out, spent hours choosing everything, 12 months later most of it was in a skip or getting replaced, or apparently didn't exist in the first place. So don't sweat it too much..

my oh my!!

odecar??

WHAT exactly reminded you of all this stuff??

was it the 'bit of colour variation' or the 'mocha carpet with a fleck in it ' haha

It was the carpet, flat, London that threw the thought into my head.

One of those type of things as a Landlord I'm happy never to experience.

If you use 100% poly it will be way cheaper and with rugs/runners it will probably last twice as long !

If you use a fairly good carpet merchant they wil be able to "edge" offcuts for the above ...Hallways Landings "sofa shuffle" directly in front of sofa and any other areas of high traffic .....100% wool on stairs is not going to last too long as T dont seem to know how to take shoes off!

S

Personally I would only have carpet in the bedrooms and maybe the upstairs hallway.

The downstairs hallway I would always put down laminate flooring, or bare floorboards if they are in good condition. Easy to clean, cheap (3.99 per square meter) and hardwaring. Carpet would be ruined in these areas in a few months.......what is more important is that I think it will be MUCH more difficult to get any money out of the deposit scheme and will involve alot of effort.

Again the stairs I always just strip back the carpet and sand, then paint/varnish. It looks good, is easy to clean, wears well and will take about an hour and cost about 20 pounds max to make new again.

I would always have laminate floor in the dining/lounge too, and tiled floors in Kitchen and bathroom as these are hardwearing.

In the first BTL I did, I went the whole hog and remved the carpet everywhere and didn't put any back down. It took me ages sanding the floorboards, painting lots of coats and took too long, every day that goes by is lost rent!

To be honest it makes the house a bit loud with all bare floorboards, although I bought rugs for hallways and for rooms. The plus side is that they are very easy to keep clean, tenants like the look and like the stairs, is sooo easy for me to make look brand new again. The fact that you can carpet a 10ft by 10ft room including fitting for easily under 100 pounds, and they can do it the next day in an hour, made me choose the carpet option in my next place (in the bedrooms and top hallway only mind).

Would be interesting to see other peoples experiences.

Ciao!

just started a new thread about carpets etc, forgot this thread was here, apologies!

Archived