Real fire

fisherman

yep...make sure chimney is swept b4 occupation AND check Insurance will allow open fires

I would personally be supplying a very good mesh fire guard ..2 in fact, one small one for fire"grate" and one much larger one to go outside this one to cover whole fire place, also make sure ast has clause requiring chimney to be swept a regular intervals (6 mths ?)

Personally I would not and do not (the vast majority of my portfolio are large victiorion houses) I do not allow T to have open fires in any house at any time -for any reason.......Soot will mean decorating more often and fire risk is far too great ......one hot coal rolling off ...........NO WAY ...............

Simon

I was wondering this the other week when a LL who had a 200 year old cottage with an open fireplace didn't want Tenants using it.

Thanks for divulging some of the reasons because I really couldn't understand why a LL who has lived in a property for 10 years and has never had a problem wouldn't want a Tenant to do so!!

Obviously i'll get some wild reasons for this but I still can't understand why Landlords are more safety conscious and careful than a Tenant would be.

Personally I have no issue with an open fire being used so long as the tenants understand the rules of engagement, the fire correctly convects fumes and has been checked for correct construction eg still has fire brick backing etc. The deposit can be used to offset burn marks or a claim under landlords contents insurance if necessary, with tenant paying excess if appropriate. However, it's a general fact of letting that on balance tenants are less likely to look after something or more likely to use it incorrectly than owner-occupiers, for similar reasons that rented cars get more abuse than privately-owned ones.

I have GCH AND an open log fire in my house.

I find it very relaxing and homely to sit and watch some tv in front of it.

I couldn't see if one of my houses had one that i'd prevent a Tenant from having that luxury!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived