Noisey Tenants or Nuisance neighbours ?

numan

I have just one property which I have been renting out for some time now, with no trouble what so ever.

Last year a I had new neighbours move in to the house next door to mine. I also got new student tenants. The day before the students moved in the neighbour came round and told me he did not like students. A few weeks after the tenants moved in the neighbour started harassing the tenants, saying they are making too much noise etc. He has been banging on their door late at night waking them up, and saying to keep the noise down. The tenants and other neighbours in the area assure me that there is very little noise. Whenever I have been in the area there is no noise.

The tenants are at the point of just wanting to leave early.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been in this situation and how they have dealt with it ?

Thanks for your advice......

I would suggest to the neighbour that the Tenants are disputing the fact that they are noisy and if this incident happens again to call the police. Tell him that he can call you next day and you can investigate further. If they are not at all noisy then he ain't going to do this is he.

I would suggest to the neighbour that the Tenants are disputing the fact that they are noisy and if this incident happens again to call the police. Tell him that he can call you next day and you can investigate further. If they are not at all noisy then he ain't going to do this is he.

It is good advice, but I have tried this already.

Its is not just the tenants that are disputing this, iI have asked various other neighbours in the area, and they are all saying that there is no noise.

The neighbour is completely unapproachable.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Can I ask is the other neighbour a Tenant or a house owner?

IHe has been banging on their door late at night waking them up, and saying to keep the noise down. ......

Now this is well out of order ....

I think the only way to proceed here is by trating this exactly as it is "harassment" ...

You could install cctc with sound to capture (or deter!!) his late night antics for as little as £70-£100 ..

but i would contact the police and get proper legal advice (sol) a call to the council noise pollution team cant do any harm either Just so you aware of your options ) Clearly the guy is being unreasonable and th situation needs to be dealt with quickly ...

Some will advise that selling prop is an option ......If the guy is going to persist long term you may want to consider this ...although i wouldn't be rushing for the for sale sign yet...

Simon

Write to the neighbour, explain that you have found no evidence of any problem and that you have received a counter claim that your tenants are being harrassed and they are considering reporting the matter to the Police. Finish by saying that without firm evidence there is nothing you can do however if he thinks there is a genuine problem he should report it to the council's environmental services.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. This board is fantastic, it so nice to be able to get some advice !

The tenants are adamant that they want to leave now, because they have just about had enough. I have tried discussing with the neighbour but he is completely unapproachable and is a bit of a hot head. I do think he is being unreasonable because he started complaining once when I was mowing the lawn, this was on a saturday afternoon, so he cant say it was an unreasonable hour ?

As I only have the one property I dont really want to sell, because apart from him, it is a really nice neighbourhood. I dont see why he could just move into an area and drive other people away. I had planned on moving into the house myself at some point but this has put me off a bit. I dont even like going to the property now, which I have owned for a decade.

I dont want to drop to his level. I do think I will get some legal advice. Are people actually allowed to get away with this type of behaviour ?

Thanks again for all you advice, very much appreciated !

Archived