Excuses for not paying Rent

lauralivesartnouveau

Oliver, i'm loving this post! What a great idea!!!

One 'basic' one I remember was (and this is a bit boring and probably the NORM) was :-

"I didn't have time to get to the bank because we were busy in work and I missed my lunch hour"

This From a Tenant claiming FULL unemployment benefit!!!

Will have to get my thinking cap on to drag more out but c'mon guys keep adding to this, this could be fun!! :unsure:

Oliver....Nice to have you back !

it was raining and the windscreen wipers on my car dont work ...so i couldn't come to your office...

I had a insider tip on a horse and did my weeks wages on it ...but the horse fell at the third and had to be put down so i cant pay you .....

I had to pay for my holiday...

somebody has stolen my identity and emptird my account...

my cheque blew out of my hand and down a drain ...

I'm going on holiday and need it for spending money ....

It's christmas and i had to buy me son a new computer....

the bank have lost my wages...

i went out last night and had it in my pocket and when i got up this morning it was gone .......dont worry about your rent i cant eat for the next month can you lend me £50 ..........( this one was genuine and i did lend him the £50..which was repaid along with the rent a few weeks later)

The cash machine is out of order ...NO problem i take cards .........yeh but i dont know were m card is....

cant get to the bank....no problem i take cards ....yeh but i cant remember my pin.....

i transferred it online .........this morning so it will take a few days to show .......yeah right......I did do it honest...

bank have tx money to someone elses acc and i have to wait for it to come back before i can get it to give it to you ....

have had loan approved and cheaue should have been here yesterday will be here soon ..........dont think so !!

This could become a very long thread and T should be banned from reading it so on that basis i will stop here !!!!!

This could become a very popular page for them otherwise !

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
Oliver....Nice to have you back !

it was raining and the windscreen wipers on my car dont work ...so i couldn't come to your office...

I had a insider tip on a horse and did my weeks wages on it ...but the horse fell at the third and had to be put down so i cant pay you .....

I had to pay for my holiday...

somebody has stolen my identity and emptird my account...

my cheque blew out of my hand and down a drain ...

Legally I don't have to pay you rent ever again because you took too long to fix the heating!

I'm going on holiday and need it for spending money ....

It's christmas and i had to buy me son a new computer....

the bank have lost my wages...

i went out last night and had it in my pocket and when i got up this morning it was gone .......dont worry about your rent i cant eat for the next month can you lend me £50 ..........( this one was genuine and i did lend him the £50..which was repaid along with the rent a few weeks later)

The cash machine is out of order ...NO problem i take cards .........yeh but i dont know were m card is....

cant get to the bank....no problem i take cards ....yeh but i cant remember my pin.....

i transferred it online .........this morning so it will take a few days to show .......yeah right......I did do it honest...

bank have tx money to someone elses acc and i have to wait for it to come back before i can get it to give it to you ....

have had loan approved and cheaue should have been here yesterday will be here soon ..........dont think so !!

This could become a very long thread and T should be banned from reading it so on that basis i will stop here !!!!!

This could become a very popular page for them otherwise !

Simon

As someone who has been on both sides of the spectrum, ie been a landlady and tenant, I too have heard some ridiculous excuses.....

* My hamster has eaten my card!

* I have won the lottery and will not be paying my rent anymore

* I was too busy sorting out my mother's funeral (bearing in mind I worked with her mother!)

Need I go on....................

I'm sure that if I understood what you meant it would be funny!!!

Wouldn't it????

Today's corker:

I was on my way to pay you and got mugged in the park, then i had to go to hospital and for the last 2 weeks i forgot to tell you, i have no money until next month when i get paid again.........................and then i will have to pay back the money i have had to borrow to eat this month...to be continued !

BS!

Simon

Hi All

I had no idea such a forum existed - thank God it does! Wish i'd known sooner!

Anyway here are my previous lodger's excuses:

Sorry i must have pushed the wrong button on my computer and the rent has gone into some one elses account! I had to wait for two weeks whilst this problem allegedly was sorted out!

Sorry i have two bank accounts for you on my online banking (one was the above mentioned wrong one) and i must have clicked on the wrong one by accident! I had to wait for two weeks for that to be sorted out.

Then alternate months were:

My contract at work is now monthly not weekly and then a few months later it went back to weekly and so he preferred to pay weekly which meant it didn't clear my bills at that start of each month! What a pain!

I don't know what happened i was supposed to have been paid and it hasn't gone into my account...

I look into the rent tomorrow...

I look into the rent tomorrow...

i'll sort out the rent tomorrow... and so it went on - weeks/months and seasons came and went!

Fortunately i did get all the rent sorted out by the time he left! I took great pleasure when he gave me my final £50 on his last day whereby he looked rather smug as he turned to leave and i said 'where are you going? you need to deep clean your room before you leave'. For the next two hours i made him sweat buckets whilst he vaxed his carpet and Mr Sheened the furniture!

Then he went - only for me to find he hadn't redirected any of his mail. So i took great delight in notifying all the loan companies and fines he had outstanding, were he had gone to in Australia and also gave them his parents address! He was so annoyed! But it felt great!

Cheers

Reiki Sue x

• 1 year later...
Guest trebor69trebor

this one was true the guy said that the account number was wrong by one digit but name was right so there is a guy out there with the same name as me but has one number different on is account so the account number i gave this guy was wrong but i just happened to be the account of some one with the same name wow i need to do the lottery more hahahah i guy still owes me 2 months rent

this one was true the guy said that the account number was wrong by one digit but name was right so there is a guy out there with the same name as me but has one number different on is account so the account number i gave this guy was wrong but i just happened to be the account of some one with the same name wow i need to do the lottery more hahahah i guy still owes me 2 months rent

You would not believe how many people have the surname "Cranium" .......first name.... Richard....This should come as no surprise at all !!!!!! :blink:

If not in name, then certainly by nature .....!

The Rodent

Yesterday :-

I washed my husband's cashpoint card so it doesn't work now, just waiting for a new card!

(From a tenant that normally transfers via internet banking and uses the same branch as we do)

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but the rent will not be with you this month as we had a major fraud on our bank account and they have CLOSED our account and the police are involved. When I asked for more information it was not forthcoming. I suggested a credit card (via the agency who agreed to assist) and was told that all their cards had been closed too.... and this from a business man who claims to have over 100 employees in his company and was actually paying the rent for his student daughter in my flat.... staggering! When I had to alert his daughter, and her flatmate, that the rent was behind and that they faced court action and reposession I was accused by the father of harrassment. After everything I had done to assist with this tenancy (and an earlier email from the flat mate stating I was a 'brilliant landlady' and thanking me for all my help). It is disheartening sometimes isn't it?!

I too am a landlord and a tenant

not that i am condoning these excuses... but I have been the victim of fraud recently... £6k from 3 bank accounts and maxed out an unrelated credit card to the tune of £13k....

.... I DID however pay my rent! hehe

Archived