smoke alarm

heebs

Hello

I am a new landlord...my first tenants just moved into a small 2 bed flat and bought 2 smoke alarms they want us to install and have asked us to reimburse them for both

please can you let me know if this is a landlord requirement..and does such a small flat really need 2

many thanks for all your advice

:P

Yes, it is your responsibility, at least one on each floor of the house, so in a flat, maybe one or two. The cost should be very small though, you can buy them at b&q for under a tenner. If they've bought the rolls royce of smoke alarms, tell them to take them back and you will supply and fit your own, but do it soon. Do you have gas, you need a gas safety certificate too.

Yes, it is your responsibility, at least one on each floor of the house, so in a flat, maybe one or two. The cost should be very small though, you can buy them at b&q for under a tenner. If they've bought the rolls royce of smoke alarms, tell them to take them back and you will supply and fit your own, but do it soon. Do you have gas, you need a gas safety certificate too.

hello...thanks for that...yes i had a gas safety check done infront of the tenant.

Hi heebs

If i were you i would put mains smoke alarms in ......interlinked so that they both go off if one is activated and although not required i would put them in all "habitable" rooms ie bedrooms lounge dining and a heat detector in the kitchen....that way you have done a belt and braces job you wont have to keep buying batteries and you have more than fulfilled your obligations and can sleep easy at night knowing that you have done the very best you can to protect tenants from fire and you cannot be accused of anything other than being a VERY responsible Landlord ....all for th cost of a few hundred pounds max....

This is what i do in ALL my properties.......

Simon

Just to straighten things up a bit, there is no requirement in law to have smoke alarms fitted other than if necessary to comply with building regs in place for new builds/renovations at the time. However, I do agree it's a good idea to have them fitted if they weren't previously. Be careful how you prove to an incoming tenant that they work because if a fire occurs, and the alarm wasn't working, it could be construed that the landlord was responsible for it and failed to ensure they worked at all times. Options are not to fit batteries, leave the cover open and get tenant to sign on the inventory that alarms were available without batteries and fitting, testing and use is their responsibility, otherwise fit them, prove they work at time of taking possession and tenant signs to say so, including periodic testing and battery replacement as a tenant responsibility.

Just to straighten things up a bit, there is no requirement in law to have smoke alarms fitted other than if necessary to comply with building regs in place for new builds/renovations at the time. However, I do agree it's a good idea to have them fitted if they weren't previously. Be careful how you prove to an incoming tenant that they work because if a fire occurs, and the alarm wasn't working, it could be construed that the landlord was responsible for it and failed to ensure they worked at all times. Options are not to fit batteries, leave the cover open and get tenant to sign on the inventory that alarms were available without batteries and fitting, testing and use is their responsibility, otherwise fit them, prove they work at time of taking possession and tenant signs to say so, including periodic testing and battery replacement as a tenant responsibility.

thanks to russ and rodent...and gpel..thanks so much re tips on the responsibilty bit in the inventory..will definately do so for next tenant..

cheers

Archived