Advice please!!

orrste

Hi,

Need some advice on a current situation with my tenants. My tenants, a couple, are 3 months into a 6 month AST, which both of them signed . I have just received a message from one of the couple informing me that they have split up but she would still like to rent the property . She has asked me if I can keep her as a tenant but also draw up a new agreement to include two other people.

I’m unsure of what route to take now. Do I say no, the AST has been signed and both parties are liable until it runs out, or should I arrange a new agreement?

If I was to raise a new agreement, would I need to get authorisation to cancel the current agreement from the other half of the couple, who has already left the premises?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated .

You cannot end a tenancy early without the agreement of both tenants so advise the one who wants to stay to get a letter from the other person agreeing. If you then start a new tenancy, the previous one would then expire. However, make sure you do proper checks on all potential occupants before agreeing.

You cannot end a tenancy early without the agreement of both tenants so advise the one who wants to stay to get a letter from the other person agreeing. If you then start a new tenancy, the previous one would then expire. However, make sure you do proper checks on all potential occupants before agreeing.

Hi Gpel...am wondering if owner doesnt use an agency...what credit checks can a landlord do..am always confused as dont know what checks apart from prev landlord ref and employer ref..character

ref etc.

can we do bank checks or credit checks?..and if so..how...

thanks

Hi Heebs

get yourself an acc with www.tenantref.co.uk who do far more then just a credit check for £20 !! check it out ...there are other similar companies out there ....

RE new AST ..........In this life people's circumstances change .....and often ....!..... I would do exactly as GPEL says ...get agreement from all parties on original ast then create new one but NOT BEFORE all new parties have cleared referencing.............

Simon

I agree here,

Check out new tenants fully 'BEFORE' you draw up a new agreement.

Don't be too hasty about it just to get 'the rent in' (so to speak)

Archived