2 Tier Flat Maintenance Charge

ladidalimey

Hi,

I am a non-resident lessee of a flat which is rented out. The block of 20 flats has a management company (ltd) which is run by volunteer resident lessees. They have just set a two tier maintenance (service) charge. One level for resident lessees (lower monthly charge) and one level for non-resident lessees (higher monthly charge). The proposal was voted in by a majority at the annual AGM.

My question is, are they within their rights to do this?

Regards

L :D

Were you invited to the meeting, was there a quorum, what're the company's decision making powers and what's the justification behind the difference?

Hi,

Yes I was invited, yes there was a quorum. The company is a limited company charged with the management of the block. I don't have details of the remit, I'm not sure where to look.

This new measure was brought about after a general increase in service charge was agreed due to increased cost of heating oil, which I fully support. They gave no justification for this two tier implementation except that tenants in general are less responsible and cause more problems than residents do. I don't think there is a monetary justifacation,

Regards

L

Archived