Green Mortgages

paul99

The popularity of eco-friendly mortgages is on the up, the Norwich and Peterborough Building Society has stated. Green mortgages with features such as carbon offsetting are currently a "niche" product for the company, but interest is growing as awareness of environmental issues increases.

At present the people taking out such products were those who "want to make a difference" but "there are more people coming into the market" who will be encouraged by government proposals to make homes carbon neutral. The idea of eco-friendly mortgages is also one of the proposals included in a new policy document launched by the Liberal Democrats to combat climate change.

I would be interested to know what the forum members think? Band waggon gimmick or a genuine move forward? Has anyone out there taken out a green mortgage?

• 4 weeks later...

Seems odd replying to my own post but I'm surprised nobody has any views they are willing to share on this. The media is becoming relatively inundated with ecological spins on products, but do people just feel there are bigger green fish to fry than mortgages!? Or should we really be saying every little bit helps?

Hi Paul

How is my mate Jim (Moore) over there ?

When considering a "loan" priority is generally going to be based on loan conditions Ir's etc

Cant say i really know anything about "green" mortgages ....

What effect does "carbon offsetting" have on my repayments and IR...

Do you then commit to making prop more energy efficient or does it have to be more energy efficient to get one ??

Please elaborate .........

And say hi to Jim if you see him

Simon ( Cardiff)

Hi

Just to add then, different but on the green theme. On the BBC news some time ago they had a feature on the councils who were enforcing rules saying we must use specific bins for specific waste and were dishing out fines to people for not doing so. It went on to say they'd discovered that the same councils are finding it so expensive and time consuming to follow up that all the waste is dumped together in landfills anyway.

My point is you go down the route of being eco friendly and pay more for doing so but how do you know if you are making a difference, you take their word for it?

A green mortgage??

What energy does a Mortgage use then? Nothing. However is this the mortgage where the company will plant 40 trees when you take it out and only for new build homes?

I am completely sceptical about this whole industry that has sprouted just to play on people's environmental consciences. A recent independent report has stated (just as an example) that resuseable toweling nappies use more energy than the disposables. The energy cost to reuse the toweling nappies is greater than that to manufacture and dispose of the disposeables.

There are far too many companies jumping in with schemes that are just a sham front - it's fashionable and sells -is it really better for the environment?

For the rate they are charging on their green mortgage, get a cheaper one elsewhere and donate the difference to greenpeace or a forestry commission if your conscience so dictates. It will be better for the environment in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Paul

How is my mate Jim (Moore) over there ?

When considering a "loan" priority is generally going to be based on loan conditions Ir's etc

Cant say i really know anything about "green" mortgages ....

What effect does "carbon offsetting" have on my repayments and IR...

Do you then commit to making prop more energy efficient or does it have to be more energy efficient to get one ??

Please elaborate .........

And say hi to Jim if you see him

Simon ( Cardiff)

Hi Simon,

I'm not actually that well up on these myself as yet, was initially just interested in the general opinion out there. It's something we might well have to look into if it catches on. I presume it would at the least be a matter of carbon offsetting, and rates would be a little higher for the privilage/environmental peace of mind/kudos, or however they like to put it!

Has anybody else on the forum looked into them, or even have a 'green' mortgage?

Saving the environment is obviously an important issue, but like other posts on this thread I can't help being a little sceptical about their real validity, there are so many products jumping on the eco bandwaggon and playing on the good nature of peoples consciences.

At least investing in new builds helps the conscience a little as the environmental regulations are much more stringently green these days!

Will pass on your regards to Jim if I see him around.

P

Archived