Licensing Private Landlords?? Haha. About time.

J4L

We welcome this and embrace it with open arms, I applaud the responsible attitude towards this ......

Clearly LL have a responsibilty to their tenants and the surrounding community .....once you have been licensed and have a proven track record, gained experience and developed workable proven systems for your own portfolio then and only then should you be considered or deemed to be in a position to be able - capable - responsible - experienced - knowledable enough to take on the task of doing this on at a more responsible level ....

That is to say "look after/manage the interests and affairs of other LLs"

I believe this is the correct way to go

- just like one must learn to drive and become competent b4 one can contemplate "learning" to become a driving instructor.......

-also one must complete an education b4 one can "train" to become a teacher .......

-Financially advisors must prove their knowledge to the FSA before they are let lose on the unsuspecting public.....

-We must all learn to walk before we can run ............

With this in mind it is very clear that to become an "prop management agent" there must be licensing/regulation in a much more rigorous way than for self management of ones own affairs!!!!

Hi Gareth

Blue paper lit ....i wil now retire to a safe distance ..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

"once you have been licensed and have a proven track record, gained experience and developed workable proven systems for your own portfolio then and only then should you be considered or deemed to be in a position to be able - capable - responsible - experienced - knowledable enough to take on the task of doing this on at a more responsible level ...."

What a load of OLD TOSH!!!

With respect........

When someone studies for a law degree and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY legal case BEFORE they can act for a client? NO!!!

When someone studies for a medical degree and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY medical case BEFORE they treat a patient? NO!!!

And likewise :-

When somebody studies the ARLA required courses and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY situation that could arise BEFORE they can act for a client? NO!!!

"That is to say "look after/manage the interests and affairs of other LLs"

You see my point!!!!

You are talking about YOUR EXPERIENCE again.

Just because an agent takes on a property for someone else doesn't mean that they don't have the skills or the know-how to successfully let and manage that property, regardless of their 'experience'!

Presently, you're correct and the decision becomes the Landlord's, Plain and simple!! NOT the governing body!!! Should they start to license Landlords then the agents will benefit because they will meet the criteria set out by licensing laws.

Some Landlords don't presently meet ANY criteria and you argue that because they have got 'experience' they should just carry on? I don't think so! There is already criteria that Landlords don't meet but, at least with my 'very little experience' i'll be able to tell a potential LL that I have a license to do the job.

Do you for ONE MINUTE think they'll grant you a license over me!!!!! haha. I suppose it's down to their criteria!

"then and only then should you be considered or deemed to be in a position to be able - capable - responsible - experienced - knowledable enough to take on the task of doing this on at a more responsible level ...."

Where is your RESPONSIBLE level? You only have responsibiltity for YOURSELF, as it goes. But hey? What if you don't declare all your income? what if someone dies in your property and you've not got enough insurance? What if YOU decide that the Tenant ain't getting back their deposit/bond because they AIN'T? Who regulates you, the Landlords for this? Nobody!! So I'm happy in the knowledge that someday, one day you will ALL be regulated, looked at and inspected as WE are and the Mickey Mouse Landlord gets his comeuppance. (is the speling correct here?)

If you try and make 'tax free' cash? (like MANY do now) Who's gonna keep an eye on you? Nobody at the moment!

So yes let's go down the regulation route, I'm happy for it!!!!!

I wonder how many Landlords (actually) are?

Everybody has to start somewhere and I tell you what You may rue the day you said 'we welcome this with open arms' because with no formal qualifications and no affiliations they could shut you down 'OVER NIGHT'.

We have joined UKALA & NALS (which we adhere to their strict code of practice) and are in the process of affiliating with a few more aswell, we are undertaking courses, we read books and forums and are aiming to better our knowledge in all areas. What qualifications do you have, where does YOUR 'life experience' fit in here? It doesn't does it?

You can't buy experience admittedly, but i'll bet you 1,000-1 that should the licensing of Landlords ever come into fruition then there'll be a glut of them kicking my door down to advertise with me. Maybe NOT because I have experience but more the fact that THEY can't/won't be able to 'prove' that they are competent.

Oh and by the way I'm changing my name to J1L now, because that's the number of properties i've GOT left to let now seeing as all the others are GONE!!!! We NOT doing TOO bad seeing as we have no experience and have an 'inferior' marketing campaign!! haha

once you have been licensed and have a proven track record, gained experience and developed workable proven systems for your own portfolio then and only then should you be considered or deemed to be in a position to be able - capable - responsible - experienced - knowledable enough to take on the task of doing this on at a more responsible level ...."

What a load of OLD TOSH!!!

With respect........

Tosh ??

With respect - I would rather give the management of my portfolio to my 13 daughter than someone not fitting the above description !

Why cos i would be paying them to come and waste my time training them how to do the job (ring any bells!) and that not only is extremely bad value for money- but is not, in my humble opinion a very shrewd business move >!

Really i would be taking on an apprentice .................

When someone studies for a law degree and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY legal case BEFORE they can act for a client? NO!!!

After the degree - articles must be done - then junior solicitor - then solicitor - then maybe partner then possible barrister - then maybe one day QC-

Working very much under the guidance of superiors!

When someone studies for a medical degree and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY medical case BEFORE they treat a patient? NO!!!

Junior doctor maybe first - etc (under guidance and supervision) and then going up the experience ranks to consultant Dr...

When somebody studies the ARLA required courses and commences their 'practice' do they have to have a 'proven track record' and/or 'experience' in EVERY situation that could arise BEFORE they can act for a client? NO!!!

Federation of master builders springs to mind!!

Once again you have missed the point - which is LL is only responsible for his own affairs ---LA takes on responsibility of others - just like most people will do a simple plumbing or electrical DIY repair and be "fully" responsible for it - this is not quite the same as setting up in business as a builder or plumber or electrician working in clients houses.................

As with investment one is taking risks with one's personal affairs but if you aue a financial advisor he must be regulated (FSA) this is with far smaller investments than even the smallest of portfolios (ie 1 prop) so clearly i would not give 10k for an unexperienced unlicensed FA any more than let a "LA" lose on my investment - as there is no mandatory regulation whatsover.......................

Do you think this is unreasonable?

LL dont need licenses to prove to themselves that they are/are not capable as they are a "self contained unit" and have only their own investment to lose if they get it wrong

Why do you find this so hard to get your head around ...it really is a very simple concept!

Where is your RESPONSIBLE level? You only have responsibiltity for YOURSELF, as it goes. But hey? What if you don't declare all your income? what if someone dies in your property and you've not got enough insurance? What if YOU decide that the Tenant ain't getting back their deposit/bond because they AIN'T? Who regulates you, the Landlords for this? Nobody!! So I'm happy in the knowledge that someday, one day you will ALL be regulated, looked at and inspected as WE are and the Mickey Mouse Landlord gets his comeuppance. (is the speling correct here?)

If you try and make 'tax free' cash? (like MANY do now) Who's gonna keep an eye on you? Nobody at the moment!

So yes let's go down the regulation route, I'm happy for it!!!!!

I wonder how many Landlords (actually) are?

Well HMRC will look after the tax detail!

The undertakers hopefully will take care of the dead body and mort terms are that yu generally prove adequate insurance is in place b4 releasing funds..

TDS will take of deposit theft - or as b4 sml claims court.

So we have the law of the land to regulate(criminal activity) us as has been since b4 my time ..........

Everybody has to start somewhere and I tell you what You may rue the day you said 'we welcome this with open arms' because with no formal qualifications and no affiliations they could shut you down 'OVER NIGHT'.

We have joined UKALA & NALS (which we adhere to their strict code of practice) and are in the process of affiliating with a few more aswell, we are undertaking courses, we read books and forums and are aiming to better our knowledge in all areas. What qualifications do you have, where does YOUR 'life experience' fit in here? It doesn't does it?

You can't buy experience admittedly, but i'll bet you 1,000-1 that should the licensing of Landlords ever come into fruition then there'll be a glut of them kicking my door down to advertise with me. Maybe NOT because I have experience but more the fact that THEY can't/won't be able to 'prove' that they are competent.

Yep everyone has to start some where - and before being the teacher you first must be the pupil - even you, are surely not going to disagree with that !

so yes - first be a LL 2nd get a Portfolio -exper etc then be in a position where you know what you are talking about instead of pretending, asking stupid questions, making dopey comments, and coming on here looking for "experience" then standing on the chair with my cxxx id bigger than yours Attitude.

Was thinking about getting involved in politics early -now where shall i start - party leader maybe...

I once read a book on economics perhaps i could get a job advising Gordon Brown...

I have had several motorbikes was thinking of setting up an " evil Knievel" dare devil training school .....

You need to prove to a LL you are competent, a LL can doesn't need to give himself a job application form or show himself qualifications.....

LL are being licensed, and rightly so , and in the not too distant future will, i'm sure, all have to be.....

Kicking your door ...maybe ....but not so sure of the reason why !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way I'm changing my name to J1L now, because that's the number of properties i've GOT left to let now seeing as all the others are GONE!!!! We NOT doing TOO bad seeing as we have no experience and have an 'inferior' marketing campaign!! haha

That will be the same one you started with no doubt - your house -maybe!?

what about L4J or L4G or you could go for LG LONG GONE

or G4G GONE FOF GOOD!!

Hahaha!!!

Chin in.............

Simon

PS i think this could be about the time the blue paper hits the firework...................... I got my sunglasses on for the sparks now, earplugs for the bang and my waders on for the tidal wave of expected imminent Bxxc Sxxx ...................!!!LOLLOL

Disclaimer - There are some good LA out there i deal with a couple of them (but not for management purposes just T find!)

Dudes, you have a serious clash of egos. Perhaps you should respawn your identity anonymously as I dunno a character for Star Wars or ... what about Lilo and Stitch, I'm sure there's someone there for the both of you. Although something tells me you'd both pick the same character. You're always entertaining though.

""With respect - I would rather give the management of my portfolio to my 13 daughter than someone not fitting the above description !"" I think not fella, that'd be stupid 'business' amd you KNOW i'm correct.

Yes YOUR DRESCRITION! Are YOU licensed? Do YOU conform to a regulating body? No you don't!! Y]

u got f**k all better to pull on than a 'little' exerience!!!

Do you?? (ring any bells!) Yes it does, maybe YOURS!!!!

I hardly think your 13 year old can do a better job then me DO YOU?

Because if you do then you're more than an idiot that I had you down for!!!

"in my humble opinion " you don't have 'humble' opinion. You have YOUR opinion and that's it!!!!

"Ater the degree - articles must be done - then junior solicitor - then solicitor - then maybe partner then possible barrister - then maybe one day QC-"You really have NO IDEA do you?? haha

"Junior Doctor maybe first -etc (nderguidance and supervision) and then going up the experience ranks to consultant Dr..."

Don't HANG yourself on this, because you are SO SO wrong and you have no idea what you're talking about!

"Once again have missed the point"No, I Never miss the point! Regulation of Landlords means MORE money in MY pocket because generally they are s**t and COULDN'T be regulated because generally they are trying to screw the system. That's the long and the short of it, no bull, this is it.

"Federation of master builders springs to mind!!" YA THINK??? haha. I'll bet even THEY have got MORE skills, "experience" and " qualifications" than YOU would ever dream of!

"o you think this is unreasonable?

LL dont need licenses to prove to themselves that they are/are not capable as they are a "self contained unit" and have only their own investment to lose if they get it wrong

Why do you find this so hard to get your head around ...it really is a very simple concept!"

No the concept is fine but I doubt whether some Landlords understand the ' real' concept of what they are getting into. Should they need regulating, and I'm SO in avour of this,many,upon many, will FALL by the wayside because they will not have sufficient 'qualifications' to carry on. Let's hope YOU are not in this number, because if you lack qualifications you will have nothing!

"ell HMRC will look after the tax detail!

The undertakers hopefully will take care of the dead body and mort terms are that yu generally prove adequate insurance is in place b4 releasing funds..

TDS will take of deposit theft - or as b4 sml claims court.

So we have the law of the land to regulate(criminal activity) us as has been since b4 my time .........."

Well all I heard was blah, blah blah. Which quite frankly is much of what I hear from you. . . . . . . . . .

"p everyone has to start some where - and before being the teacher you first must be the pupil - even you, are surely not going to disagree with that !

so yes - first be a LL 2nd get a Portfolio -exper etc then be in a position where you know what you are talking about instead of pretending, asking stupid questions, making dopey comments, and coming on here looking for "experience" then standing on the chair with my cxxx id bigger than yours Attitude.

" I think you'll find that THIS was mine, not yours!!! haha

That will be the same one you started with no doubt - your house -maybe!?

what about L4J or L4G or you could go for LG LONG GONE

or G4G GONE FOF GOOD!!

Hahaha!!!

Chin in.............

My house?? absolutely!! But at least it's all that's left!! quite proud actually cos we started from NOTHING!!

L4J - long gone?? uuumpppphh! haha think you got the spelling wrong on that one although you seem to do that generallly don't you. Maybe you're just a NUMPTY!!!

"Chin in............."

" see?? you numpty's get the impression that you can say what you feel. and there will be no repurcussions, where in reality you realise that when you make these comments they will be seen by people who were brought up in fairwater, making sure you who are the damned, get such ashit "rest of your life"

"

PS i think this could be about the time the blue paper hits the firework...................... I got my sunglasses on for the sparks now, earplugs for the bang and my waders on for the tidal wave of expected imminent Bxxc Sxxx ...................!!!LOLLOL

Disclaimer - There are some good LA out there i deal with a couple of them (but not for management purposes just T find!)

"

You've chnged that!! haha. Trying to make yourself look good?

Be careful, Simon, be VERY careful!

Why o why do you take this so personally......!

We all have a right to a free opinion and free speech do we not ...........?

" see?? you numpty's get the impression that you can say what you feel. and there will be no repurcussions, where in reality you realise that when you make these comments they will be seen by people who were brought up in fairwater, making sure you who are the damned, get such ashit "rest of your life"

What is that all about ? Is this to be taken as a threat?

Be careful, Simon, be VERY careful!

Be very careful of what ?

What do you want " a scrap" in the playground ?

I appreciate your posts, as i have pointed out before, as discussion can only be acheived thru different points of view !

but is there any need to be quite so excitable ...

You have still missed the point which is that LL only deal with there own affairs

To illustrate this point properly - I personally would not manage any one elses prop for them as i am not prepared to be responsible for their investment. Conversely i would not allow my prop to be managed by someone who was anything but an expert.

Chill out an enjoy the banter!

Simon

oops, think I had too many beers last night my spelling's rather shameful in the last few posts. haha

Simon, I don't make threats or want a scrap in the playground.

Shall I tell you why I take your posts so personally? It's because you make them personal! You try to slate me, publically, and I really don't like it. I try to refrain from that where I can because I'm an adult.

I was merely trying to state that you should be careful with this attitude of yours because you could come unstuck if they actually DO start to regulate or license Landlords.

My points and examples are very valid.

Take a look around a hospital around about August 1st or February the 1st, when the new junior doctors start! Please don't get ill after 5 o clock or over the weekend because THEY are the only people who will see you, and I'm sure you wouldn't want THEM looking after you with your 'i'd rather let my 13 year old. . . . ' attitude.

The truth is they have all the qualifications but NO experience. That's life! It happens every day!

MY point, and I think YOU'VE missed it is that you talk about a LL 's affairs, I'm talking about Tenants here not Landlords.

Who regulates you to make sure that the Tenants don't get a poor deal?

I say bring it on!! Regulate and License private Landlords. The sooner the better I think.

and remember . . . . . you heard it here first!!

Hopefully you have courses and standards aswell as your 'invaluable' experience, (and it is invaluable, I'm not taking that away from you)

I just wish you would afford me the same dignity with my business experience.

Lots of EA and LA go under because they have no business experience. Just because they have worked for someone for a few years doesn't necessarily make it easy for them to balance the books, and this is and can be a huge problem. Experience letting a few houses out doesn't give ANYONE an automatic business degree, but I believe I have much more nonce than many 'established' 'experienced' EA / LA that i've come across.

Isn't this site meant to about an exchange of ideas and opinions on lettings related issues from a landlords perspective, not someone pointing out the inadequacies of the other to help blow their own trumpet...

I'll get my coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived