Good News For New Letting Agents!

J4L

Not naming names (but you all know who you are haha) but I wanted to just show a little 'light at the end of the tunnel' for newbie LA's, who come in here and other forums and get a little negative feedback with regard to their 'inexperience' 'lack of business knowledge' etc etc etc, when they are really looking for a little guidance, support and the such.

We've managed to secure a number of Landlords commitments and get Tenants for most of them in the few short weeks that we have been going.

It hasn't been a walk in the park by any means but if your confident enough in your service, you can get there.

I only write this because I was reading a post 'on the other side' from some time ago, from a guy who had been set up for 4 months via a southcourt package and hadn't got one property on his books let alone one Tenant in. He was getting really down and I was the only one who offered him support and encouragement. He asked for some business advice which I gave freely, (he was working out of an area miles & miles away haha) and he's e-mailed me today to say that he's now taken some of the advice and let out his first property yesterday and got 2 more on his books.

My point here is that if new people come in looking for advise let's try and be positive with them, we could be building a new type of LA that people will get to know, love and trust.

Gareth

Yeh I REMEMBER that question!!!! haha

Not naming names (but you all know who you are haha) but I wanted to just show a little 'light at the end of the tunnel' for newbie LA's, who come in here and other forums and get a little negative feedback with regard to their 'inexperience' 'lack of business knowledge' etc etc etc, when they are really looking for a little guidance, support and the such.

We've managed to secure a number of Landlords commitments and get Tenants for most of them in the few short weeks that we have been going.

It hasn't been a walk in the park by any means but if your confident enough in your service, you can get there.

I only write this because I was reading a post 'on the other side' from some time ago, from a guy who had been set up for 4 months via a southcourt package and hadn't got one property on his books let alone one Tenant in. He was getting really down and I was the only one who offered him support and encouragement. He asked for some business advice which I gave freely, (he was working out of an area miles & miles away haha) and he's e-mailed me today to say that he's now taken some of the advice and let out his first property yesterday and got 2 more on his books.

My point here is that if new people come in looking for advise let's try and be positive with them, we could be building a new type of LA that people will get to know, love and trust.

Gareth

[No matter how trusting they believe they are, experienced landlords will never trust letting agents...... dream on]

[No matter how trusting they believe they are, experienced landlords will never trust letting agents...... dream on]

And it's EXACTLY this victorian attitude I was meaning.

It's a good job I don't question YOUR 'experienced' Landlords isn't it because i bet you a pound to a penny I could find MANY flaws in the way you manage YOUR business!!

Yes Gareth - absolutely right !

but with the LL self managing he takes on board "the buck stops here!" and is only responsible for his own affairs!

when you pay an expert for a service and hand over the running of your "empire" of course people worry in the same way that if a child is bullied in injured at school - the school will quite rightly get a good earful from the parent .............

Trust- something that is earned over some time ........

Dont keep taking this so personally!

There are many LL who will happily use agents full services -personally i use a level i am comfortable with - which is basicallt T find only -then i take over for referencing inventory an ast ..........

A service which i pay 1 week's rent for with most agents .....or a contra deal on furntiture ...........

Does your flexible approach stretch to this ?

Simon

Let's face it, you're only on this forum to drum up business, by starting all these silly topics in order to advertise your letting agency's website. Dress it up how you want by being everyone's friend, you know the score.

I don't think you've quite got the idea really Pauly have you.

I don't need to drum up business on this 'national' website when we only, for now, work fairly locally.

Silly Topics?? These are not silly in my eyes they are quite probing questions to try and get an idea how other agents and Landlords' minds work.

Yours obviously doesn't fella!!! Well not in a normal way anyway, your too defensive, arrogant and blinkered.

I'm a good judge of character and I'd spot you coming a mile off and wouldn't WANT your business anyway.

The reason I'm here is to learn which is what some said I needed to do, that's it.

Now then children lets calm it down before it ends up in tears!

Gareth

There are many LL who will happily use agents full services -personally i use a level i am comfortable with - which is basicallt T find only -then i take over for referencing inventory an ast ..........

A service which i pay 1 week's rent for with most agents .....or a contra deal on furntiture ...........

Simon

Simon

My flexibility is one of my best attributes, my motto is to try and keep everybody happy, which has seen me do ok in other ventures so I have no reason to change it now.

If you recall I offered YOU 5 free fully managed properties, I can't be ANY more flexible than that can I?

I don't think you've quite got the idea really Pauly have you.

I don't need to drum up business on this 'national' website when we only, for now, work fairly locally.

Silly Topics?? These are not silly in my eyes they are quite probing questioons to try and get an idea how other agents and Landlords' minds work.

Yours obviously doesn't fella!!! Well not in a normal way anyway, your too defensive, arrogant and blinkered.

I'm a good judge of character and I'd spot you coming a mile off and wouldn't WANT your business anyway.

The reason I'm here is to learn which is what some said I needed to do, that's it.

Your questions/topic starters ARE at times ridiculous, and in every topic you start, later on down the line, your 'very attractive' services/prices come to the surface.

I too am street wised up to the slippery world of the letting agent. I'm also a good judge of character, so slide off to some other forum designed for LETTING AGENTS please.

Thank you once again for your very generous offer..which once again i must decline ...............

However,

I have a property in Creigiau - a 2 bed mid link, in a nice quiet cul de sac (no jacuzzi!)-which will be available 01/08/07

What is your most flexible offer to find me a suitable tenant?

Simon

Your questions/topic starters ARE at times ridiculous, and in every topic you start, later on down the line, your 'very attractive' services/prices come to the surface.

I too am street wised up to the slippery world of the letting agent. I'm also a good judge of character, so slide off to some other forum designed for LETTING AGENTS please.

Show me one question/topic starter that you would percieve as 'ridiculous'

Down the line I have occasionally mentioned prices but only to give people a comparison of what I believe to be fair and to show how some LL's AND T's are being ripped off. This is to show my intention of raising the bar for others and not done selfishly. If some blinkered people who sometimes pay over the odds for a service, choose to see this as me plying for business then so be it, that's your call and quite frankly I really don't care what you think as I'm NOT after your business on here I'm here to share ideas, thoughts, experience and anything else I can give or take from other members. That's what a forum is for. It's also for people to generally have a gas, a debate and a joke if necessary. If you choose not to use, read or post on these topics then don't! Personally I don't think I've seen much constructive input from you anyway.

My questions/ posts are purely for the benefit of the reader and my reasearch and certainly not a way of 'drumming up business'.

FYI i'm not JUST a letting agent but a Landlord aswell so I have as much right to be here as anyone else so I won't be 'sliding' off anywhere.

And this for Simon, i'll PM you my flexible offer for finding you a tenant, and I WASN'T offering the 5 lets NOW i was merely showing that I have flexibility and have shown such. My offers are one off only I'm afraid.

And to end this I'd like to say that NO, It hasn't taken me 4 1/2 hours to respond to these posts, I've been out appraising a property for a new Landlord (not the blinkered type thankfully)

Your post titled

"Father's Day what did you get??"

is one question/topic starter that I percieve as 'ridiculous'.

Not that there's anything wrong with celebrating Father's Day or being a dad, but I can't see that as being a relevant topic on a

landlord's forum.

If only all letting agents were as morally pure as you are, then the world would be a better place.

Your post titled

"Father's Day what did you get??"

is one question/topic starter that I percieve as 'ridiculous'.

Not that there's anything wrong with celebrating Father's Day or being a dad, but I can't see that as being a relevant topic on a

landlord's forum.

If only all letting agents were as morally pure as you are, then the world would be a better place.

Haha, well I choose to bring some light entertainment into my day and if it's just a 'general' topic then it should be up to the moderators to pull it if they feel it necessary. I don't recall attempting to 'drum up any business' in that post which is what I thought you were suggesting earlier, when you said 'ridiculous posts'!

Infact they did pull one of my other posts saying it wasn't a relevant topic for a Landlord's forum much the same as you have. To which I suggested maybe having a 'lighter hearted' area that general posts can be put, to date we have seen nothing. That's their choice. I think since then though I have attempted to post 'relevant' topics and will continue to do so until someone feels they are not and pulls them.

And YES, if all letting agents WERE as morally pure as I am trying to be then the world of Lettings, Estates, Landlords and Tenants will be a better place and i'll be one happier bunny.

I think it was Simon a while back who said I get touchy about certain issues and I admit that I do, when I feel that people are going to tar me with the same brush as others. I can be ruthless, when required, but haven't needed to much in all the years of doing business so i'll continue as I am for now until someone can show me a better way.

Mine is a utilitarian approach, 'for the greater good' rather than being selfish and blinkered and I'm very proud of what I do, have high standards, and get a lot of repeat business. This will hopefully overspill into the letting Agency and will set standards that others need to reach to satisfy a Landlords/ Tenants expectations.

Don't shoot me down please for at least trying.

Everyone has to start somewhere even the likes of Mandela and other great leaders.

And I don't think for one minute that I can change the world but hey if I can change a few peoples opinions i'll have made enough of a difference to satisfy myself.

Now did I mention I'm offering a discount to new Landlords . . . . .

haha

Hi all

At the end of the day letting agents work with or on behalf of landlords who cant be bothered, lack the skills, live abroad or don’t have the time to manage their own property.

Why bash the LA’s we all might need help one day. In any case LA’s can bring a degree of professionalism to the sector in which inexperienced landlords have consistently failed to provide.

The only reason landlords are becoming regulated with the inception of legislation such as HMO and TDS is because they have abused their position causing complaints to the CAB and the like.

Oliver

Good LAs no more deserve to be tarred with the same brush as bad ones anymore than good landlords deserve being tarred with the same brush as bad landlords. However, I struggle to see how anyone can claim to offer a professional service while asking potential clients the solution to their problems through this forum. How do you even know you're providing a good service if there's no yard-stick of experience and training. I'm sure the motives are honourable for most agents starting an LA but shouldn't they undergo proper training and things before self-promotion. There are plenty of companies who offer agents training, lettings advice and legal lettings support etc. Helping another agent develop their business is fantastic for you and them but is it relevant to this forum?

Personally, I'd rather see less business-threads, unless in response to a specific query.

Archived