Tenant referencing

rakshamc

I recently rented a property via an agent and they used Homelet for referencing the tenant. Right from the first month, I have had problems getting the rent. Its only 2 months since the tenant signed the contract, I now discover that she is in prison and the flat is occupied by someone else. This referencing is obviously highly unsatisfactory. Has anyone used a good, reliable referencing company over many years? I normally do the referencing myself and have never had problems.

Also, how do I get rid of this new person?

Wow Nice one!

Did you use the agent for Tenant find only or are they managing prop for you - if so check your agreement with them to ascertain where their responsibilities lie .

Check exactly who was referenced

how many people on lease

is this person friend or relation to T or a "sublet"

Have you actually received the rent for first 2 months

is it HB rent

does this person have "permission" from T to be in prop? or are they "squatting"?

because all this is will affect how you are able to remove this person

Although most referencing is not going to pick up someone just about to go to prison ! or was she in their already - this is a bit of a new one on me, i must confess

I think we need more detailed info to begin to offer any advice on this !

But as for referencing personally i use http://www.tenantref.co.uk/ who are good but dont know if they could have seen this one coming !

Check level of referencing done by LA - was it adequate (and to level you requested and agreed) if you didnt discuss this then you have just learnt the first part of a big lesson.

there are a few good minds on here but please give us a fuller picture !

Simon

Wow Nice one!

Did you use the agent for Tenant find only or are they managing prop for you - if so check your agreement with them to ascertain where their responsibilities lie .

Check exactly who was referenced

how many people on lease

is this person friend or relation to T or a "sublet"

Have you actually received the rent for first 2 months

is it HB rent

does this person have "permission" from T to be in prop? or are they "squatting"?

because all this is will affect how you are able to remove this person

Although most referencing is not going to pick up someone just about to go to prison ! or was she in their already - this is a bit of a new one on me, i must confess

I think we need more detailed info to begin to offer any advice on this !

But as for referencing personally i use http://www.tenantref.co.uk/ who are good but dont know if they could have seen this one coming !

Check level of referencing done by LA - was it adequate (and to level you requested and agreed) if you didnt discuss this then you have just learnt the first part of a big lesson.

there are a few good minds on here but please give us a fuller picture !

Simon

Thanks for your help. The tenant was the only one referenced. The tenancy agreement(6 month shorthold) is in her name only. The person in the flat is her friend. She signed the lease on 2nd April and paid one months rent in advance then. Her mother paid the rent (late) for May. Since then, I have not received any rent.

What is the quickest way to get possession of my property while she is in prison(we think 3 months at least) and to get the current occupier out?

Thanks for your help. The tenant was the only one referenced. The tenancy agreement(6 month shorthold) is in her name only. The person in the flat is her friend. She signed the lease on 2nd April and paid one months rent in advance then. Her mother paid the rent (late) for May. Since then, I have not received any rent.

What is the quickest way to get possession of my property while she is in prison(we think 3 months at least) and to get the current occupier out?

I don't think this problem can be pinned on Homelet who reference against the information provided to them. I also suspect that the agent was caught out by the applicant and referenced her in good faith. To me, the blame lies fairly & squarely with the applicant who provided false information and breached tenancy obligations. You can serve a section 8 for rent arrears as soon as rent is 2 months late ie the second rent due date not paid.

Archived