Annual electrical check

liz

Hi

I need to get the electrical check on my property done by the end of this month and was wondering if I need to get a company/individual who is NIEC registered, like the gas chaps have got to be Corgi registered or whether a fully qualified electrician who has got all the correct qualifications and paperwork can do it?

thanks

Liz

Liz you need to just get a fully qualified electrician.

The NIECIC is just one of about 5 regulatory bodies that electricians join.

Basically when you get the testing done the sparky will inform their people( Niceic or whichever on e they belong to) and then the body will notify building control at the council.

all gas appliancies need an annual check and certificate You however are not required by law to have an annual check on the electrical instalation or appliancies .Any new work or alterations to the wiring in a property must be done by a qualified electitian or must be inspected by a buiding control officer. By law no diy wiring is allowed unless inspected and approved by building control officer

hi liz

there is no law for annual elec checks, the "guidance" is change of occupancy or 10 years, maybe 5, will have to check. they dont have to be niceic or any other body, in fact your granny could do it if she fancied, most of them in my opinion are not worth the paper thier written on!

lavy,

there are exceptions that diy wiring is allowed and is not req to be inspected by bc or done by a qualified spark, however any alterations must be tested and installed to bs standards.

russ

there is no law for annual elec checks, the "guidance" is change of occupancy or 10 years, maybe 5, will have to check.

That is incorrect there is now statute that specifically says that for certian types of HMO's the fixed electrical installation is to be inspected and tested at intervals of not exceeding 5 years and the certificate produced on request to the local authority within 7 days of this request.

Absolutely correct here guys, the electric test is not compulsory for properties except HMO's but I was answering Liz's question where she states :-

"I need to get the electrical check on my property done by the end of this month"

Personally I think it's wise to get these done and unless your granny IS a qualified spark it's probably not wise to let her do it.

As I understand it if a spark does a periodic test he or she (if it's your granny) will issue a certificate once it's done.

That is incorrect there is now statute that specifically says that for certian types of HMO's the fixed electrical installation is to be inspected and tested at intervals of not exceeding 5 years and the certificate produced on request to the local authority within 7 days of this request.

HMO's maybe, but in single dwellings there is no mandatory inspection, as i said it is guidance from the IET (institute of electrical technicians), and is only guidance as all electrical regs are, and it is change of occupancy/10 years.

personaly as an elec contractor i dont/wont do PIR's as there are that many people doing them for £70ish plus vat, and i cant believe that they have been done correctly for that price (hence my quote "not worth the paper they are written on")

i do my own PIR's on my properties and it takes me at least 3/4 hrs and thats property that i know inside out!

j4l your correct, the person doing the test should give you a copy of the report with any defects noted as code 1-4

liz, why do you need to have it tested in such a hurry?

russ

HMO's maybe, but in single dwellings there is no mandatory inspection, as i said it is guidance from the IET (institute of electrical technicians), and is only guidance as all electrical regs are, and it is change of occupancy/10 years.

personaly as an elec contractor i dont/wont do PIR's as there are that many people doing them for £70ish plus vat, and i cant believe that they have been done correctly for that price (hence my quote "not worth the paper they are written on")

i do my own PIR's on my properties and it takes me at least 3/4 hrs and thats property that i know inside out!

j4l your correct, the person doing the test should give you a copy of the report with any defects noted as code 1-4

liz, why do you need to have it tested in such a hurry?

russ

Hi

Thanks to everyone for their advice which I much appreciate. In response to Russ's question of why I need to get the electrical check done it's because I bought the house (4 bed semi) last June, had the gas and electrical checks done just before my tenants moved in in early July, and thus the 12 month duration period of the checks is almost up.

Liz

I think Russ was saying that it's not 'absolutely' necessary to have the electrical testing done.

The gas yes but not a legal requirement for the electrical one.

Personally I think you're right in doing it though.

Hi

Thanks to everyone for their advice which I much appreciate. In response to Russ's question of why I need to get the electrical check done it's because I bought the house (4 bed semi) last June, had the gas and electrical checks done just before my tenants moved in in early July, and thus the 12 month duration period of the checks is almost up.

Liz

liz

there is no law or any guidance that you have to get the electrics checked every 12 mths, if your concerned, do a visual inspection looking for damaged outlets (cracked/scorched/etc) ask if anything isnt working, if its fine, get the gas done and leave the elec, the guidance is 10 years or change of ocupancy, thats quoted from the IET who write the electrical regulations, so if you have the same tenants your fine, if they have moved on, its your call.

keep ya pennies in ya pocket!

i will post my invoice tomorrow, where shall i send it :D

russ

Archived