Non payment of rent

austynqueen08

Hi all,

Found this site last nite and I'm so glad I have!!!! I currently have a tenant (last 10 months), who has had me over a treat :( , has failed to pay the rent for the last 5 months (I am made to beleive that she wishes to obtain a council property!!!) Anyway, with my newbie panic head on, I instrcuted solicitors, in Mid March, section 21 and 8 notices have both been served. As from yesterday County court proceedings could apply under section 8.

Should I ask my solicitor, to proceed through a accelerated hearing and employ a debt collector, after she is out ? The property is part furnished, dinning table, sofa, bed, white furnishings, can I remove these items, through fear of being stolen :unsure: , prior to eviction?

Last not least, should I inform the relevant utility companies of her immeinent leave?

Many Thanks

Newbie and learning

Unfortunately legally you can't remove any items until the date she goes. Infact you can't even enter the premises until she has 'given up' the keys.

With regard to the debt collection I think you can do this straight away if you feel, at least you know where she is. Chances of getting a forwarding address from her are slight I would guess and you may have a problem tracing her via the council as they are not at liberty to give you such information under the data protection act. although saying this if you left the debt issue until she has moved out, the collections agency are pretty good at tracking people down so the choice really is yours.

There ARE 'alternative' methods, of course and if you read a few of the other posts on here you may come across a nice solution for YOU, but please tread very carefully.

Personally i would get a debt collector on it immediately - see other posts and threads for much more detail on this topic - (you may have to trawl around a bit to fond them )as there is a right and a wrong way of doing this !

You can in fact request an inspection of the property and gain access to do this with a few days(2or 3 i think) written notice .......MARK ??? (not a strong point with me as i would just go knock the door )- if you become a regular user you will find a i am not a fan of "conventional" methods a they tend to be cumbersome and ineffective and in alot of case s cost you alot more time, energy, money and make a bad situation a lot worse .......(i do however stay inside the Law)

Whoa boy ....... getting carried away again !

Simon

A 'visit' i'd call it rather than an 'inspection' can be requested via letter giving at least a couple of days notice. If however you get no response from a letter then you CANNOT legally enter the property without the tenants permission.

A 'visit' i'd call it rather than an 'inspection' can be requested via letter giving at least a couple of days notice. If however you get no response from a letter then you CANNOT legally enter the property without the tenants permission.

Hi J4L & Rodent,

Many thanks for your feedback, I will request a visit when I have received an accelertated county court hearing date and will instruct 'Thornbury' (thanks Rodent) also!!

Archived