TDS and tenancy agreements. Help please.

scoot2001

Hi all,

I have decided to use the insured Tenancy Deposit Solutions insured scheme for landlords and deposits.

I currently use a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement that makes no mention of either the deposit amount I have taken or any scheme I am going to use. In the past I have simply provided a written receipt for deposit money I have taken alonside the tenancy agreement.

I have a couple of questions that I could really do with answering as I am in the process of re-letting one of my houses.

1. Is it necessary to make mention in a new AST agreement that I am a member of a deposit scheme and give details of which scheme?

2. Does my tenancy agreement need to state how much bond/deposit I have actually taken?

Many thanks.

Most AST's have a mention in them about the deposit, how much etc. Really you SHOULD put this in.

I don't think it 'necesary' to actually put it in the AST with regard to who you are placing it with but as you DO have a legal obligation to inform the Tenants which scheme you are using within 14 days of the start of the tenancy then you COULD kill 2 birds so to speak and put it directly in the AST.

Most AST's have a mention in them about the deposit, how much etc. Really you SHOULD put this in.

I don't think it 'necesary' to actually put it in the AST with regard to who you are placing it with but as you DO have a legal obligation to inform the Tenants which scheme you are using within 14 days of the start of the tenancy then you COULD kill 2 birds so to speak and put it directly in the AST.

Many thanks for the info, I will ask my solicitor about a suitable clause/wording that mentions the bond scheme and add this to my agreement.

Cheers.

there are clauses that must be added to the tenancy agreement to cover the new scheme, the clauses added to mine are an additional 2 pages in total, you must also provide contact details for the landlord and tenant with the tenancy agreement, names, addresses, numbers and e-mail addresses

Two pages??

Really??

I'd like to see where it states that!!!

Archived