Tenant reference forms

dub_master77

Hi all,

I am a noobie to this forum and I have just put my first foot on the investment property ladder. :blink::)

I am looking to recruit my own tenants for the house and I have managed to get hold of the tenant forms, a great contract but I can't find any reference forms for tenants so that I can determine if the tenants job is at risk in any form. Can anyone help ? or does anyone have a template that I can use ?

Dub

Hi all,

I am a noobie to this forum and I have just put my first foot on the investment property ladder. :blink::)

I am looking to recruit my own tenants for the house and I have managed to get hold of the tenant forms, a great contract but I can't find any reference forms for tenants so that I can determine if the tenants job is at risk in any form. Can anyone help ? or does anyone have a template that I can use ?

Dub

Morning Dub

I don't really understand what it is you are after here??

I read it as if you are going to write to an employer and ask them if they are about to sack the tenant!!

Would that be correct or have I read this wrong?

why not use a credit checking agency who will do all your referencing for you??

Hi, that is pretty much what I am after doing but I am also trying to keep costs as low as possible. I have got the character reference and I have also found out about the history of the tenant with regards to residence but from this point it does not seem cost effective to get an agency in to do most of the work that I have already done. I was just looking for a form/proforma that I could use to send the the tenants' employer to determine if they are getting the boot anytime soon.

Thanks for your help

Haha,

I can't imagine any firm giving that sort of information up easily.

What I would do then is write a letter to the employer asking :

1) how long this person has been working for them (and their salary if you require that info)

2) have they got a permanent or temporary contract (this will give you an idea if someone's temporary contract is about to expire)

3) are they currently under any investigations within the company that they feel could affect their application with yourself.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think that I have got a bible now in letter writing for landlords and its quick, simple and hosts loads of sample letters.

Its a book by a chap called Adam Church and its called Landlord's letters. There are 2 versions and they later being published after April 07.

Thanks once again.

Dub

Yes Dub I have a copy of this book aswell. It is very good.

What I would say is that the above point I made (number 3) doesn't appear in any of the letters that you'll see in the Landlords Letters books and I would consider adding this in if I were you. What I find with referencing is that if you don't ask then company's don't generally offer up information that could be deemed confidential to their employee and the company. However if you DO ask then they feel more obliged to answer the question asked. If for whatever reason they don't answer then you can go back to the tenant and ask them directly.

One of my thoughts on refernecing is this :-

I don't think it'll be long before agents and Landlords will be 'police checking' tenants anyway. It's something that we are thinking of doing and we are just looking into whether it will be deemed 'necessary' to do just on someone who is taking up a tenancy.

Thoughts please!!!

There are many companies that offer professional Tenant Referencing services. You don't need a letting agent to do this. Please see providers on this website and we can also offer a service. Please see our website for infomation or ring us 0845 3450315 for the forms.

www.leaseguard.net

Archived