Property viewings

F-Prop

Hi all,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are on conducting property viewings for potential tenants. I assume not everyone uses a letting agent to do all the work for them and will therefore show people around their own properties.

Most people I show round are fine decent people, however (and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm having a bit of a rant now) :angry: some people seem quite happy to mess me around. I seem to have had a bit of a run of bad luck recently, as quite a few people have failed to show up for a viewing, and it's always the same, when I call them (usually after waiting 15mins) I find the phone is either switched off, or they hang up when they know it's me! :angry:

In the worst case, I've had people in the past who have verbally accepted the property and I've given them all the forms to complete, then that's the last I hear from them. They won't return my calls or emails to tell me they no longer want it so I'm left wondering what to do. It's so infuriating!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Of course you always have to keep your calm and be professional about it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this and how do you deal with it??

Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now...

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

I deal with all aspects of my house let as I rented for many years and only have the one property at the moment.

I combatted this problem partly by saying that they have to give me a holding deposit to stop other people coming around and/or take the ad out of the paper if they are geniunely intrested they will pay this.

I charge £200, which is a going rate that most estate agents take and this is non-refundable, you then give them a receipt ...see my response the other day (I think it is at the bottom of the page) which is then offset when you are ready with the other deposits/costs they need to pay again see my response.

You'll never stop time wasters but at least by doing this you hopefully will get genuine people and if not, at least you've been paid for them wasting your time.

Rgds Suziebear

Good point

However when I rented from an estate agent ...it stipulated that is was non-refundable, but like I said it was off set from all the monies that I had paid in the end ...not sure how they get round it but lets put it this way its wasn't a fly by night company ...very big name so I can only presume that the benefit the customer is getting is that you let them rent the house??? and not let anybody else see it ??

Any professionals out there able to answer this??? Have I been unlawful without knowing it??? :angry:

Thanks for the advice. It's always going to be a difficult problem to solve, and you will always get people who will mess you around. I guess that's not the sort you want as tenants anyway...

I will consider charging a non-refundable deposit. If it's written in my terms and conditions that I hand out, then I can't see what the legal problems would be but I might just run in past my solicitor to be sure.

It's not a bad idea to get the tenants to ring me first, any that are serious about the viewing won't object.

Thanks one and all!!

Trevor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok firstly do not call it a deposit, call it a none refundable holding fee. have a written sheet stating the property address and what the holding fee is for and that it is non-refundable. get them to sign and date it. in this letter state how long this fee will hold the property ie 14 days whilst you take up references. give them a signed copy of this and keep the original yourself. this should cover you. a deposit has to be returned if taken to a court but a holding fee that has been signed for is fine. tell the viewers when they ring to amke appointment that they will have to ring 2 hours before the appointment to confirm, otherwise you will not attend.

• 1 year later...

The holding deposit

The "holding deposit" indicates that you are serious enough about the property to put some money down on it. But beware, it is not a legal guarantee that you will get the place. If you can avoid paying it, do.

• The deposit can be as low as £25-50 or as high as hundreds of pounds.

• If the deal goes through, your holding deposit is usually set against your first month's rent and the deposit due.

• If you pull out of the deal, for almost any reason, then your deposit is not refundable.

• If the landlord pulls out of the deal, you should be able to get your deposit returned.

• Complications arise when one agency takes a deposit from you, while another agency takes a deposit from another interested tenant. In this case, the landlord has to choose, and that could be based on which tenant put down the higher deposit.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/template/public...lace.vm#holding

It's not a holding fee, it's a holding/reservation deposit and there for the sole object on reinforcing an applicants commitment. Buy a new build from a sales office and they always take a reservation deposit, non-refundable if you change your mind. £200 is generally an accepted figure for lettings. It's unlikely to be contested at that level because it could be argued that is the level to offset a landlord's expenses should an applicant subsequently withdraw.

Archived