Insurances etc

Julierob

Hi Everybody

I am new to this forum and fairly new to being a landlord. I have one flat which I co-own with my sister and we have life insurance for this property. I am just about to let out my house changing it from a residential mortgage with the Abbey to a BTL (for which they are charging me £490 for the privilege). What I want to know is I need buildings insurance to comply with requirements, but do I still require a life insurance policy.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but am I just trying to get myself organise for the letting of this property and want to make sure I am covered but that I am not paying unnecessary insurance policies.

Thanks

Julie :huh:

Hi Julie

I am not an expert on Life Insurance and I am sure someone else here can help in that respect, however, remember as a new landlord to register for a tax return each, also note that unfortunately Life Insurance payments for a rental property are not allowable deductions against your rental income

Regards

Sherena

Hi Julie

I am not an expert on Life Insurance and I am sure someone else here can help in that respect, however, remember as a new landlord to register for a tax return each, also note that unfortunately Life Insurance payments for a rental property are not allowable deductions against your rental income

Regards

Sherena

Thanks Sherena.

Hi Julie

Our contact at Letcare mentioned that there is no legal requirement for you to have life insurance, but it could be a condition of the mortgage with Abbey. You would have to check with them.

If you would like to contact letcare they are listed within our Insurance centre.

http://www.residentiallandlord.co.uk/insurance.htm

There is also a quick quote button here and links to their website.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Nick Colthorpe

Residential Landlord

Archived