changing from AST to periodic tenancy contract

liz

Hi

My tenant's 6 months contract expired yesterday and she and I have agreed that she can stay on with a periodic tenancy contract. However, my letting agent tells me that unless I pay him half a month's rent to draw up a new contract this is not possible, he also says that despite it being a periodic tenancy (i.e. rolling on month by month) it has to be for a minimum of 6 months. I also want to change his contract from 'ful service' to 'tenant find' and he want's another £125 for that too! Is he right?

thanks in advance for your help

cheers

Liz

Check what contract you have with the agent for fees and charges. You don't need to draw up a new tenancy agreement for the current one to go periodic. If you do nothing, your tenants stay on the same T&Cs, but without a fixed period. It sounds like the agent is putting together a new fixed period contract, against your wishes. Periodics are not for any minimum period other than the notice period, hence the name. You need to check your management contract in detail for fees, if any, to terminate your full management agreement. If no termination clause, do your own thing as no contractual agreement.

Check what contract you have with the agent for fees and charges. You don't need to draw up a new tenancy agreement for the current one to go periodic. If you do nothing, your tenants stay on the same T&Cs, but without a fixed period. It sounds like the agent is putting together a new fixed period contract, against your wishes. Periodics are not for any minimum period other than the notice period, hence the name. You need to check your management contract in detail for fees, if any, to terminate your full management agreement. If no termination clause, do your own thing as no contractual agreement.

Many thanks,I'll check my contract as you suggest and go back to the agent better armed now. Liz

Archived