Tenants did not pay utilities

Mr Hanson

:( I recently had tenants leave my property claiming all utility bills and council tax had been paid up to date- since then I have received numerous bills addressed to the owner chasing the debt

How can I avoid this happening again - any help would be good as I am not sure If I can hold back the deposit to cover this

Cheers

Mr H :D

For current utility arrears write to services and advise them that you are not responsible for bills incurred during the tenancy and include a copy of the tenancy agreement and confirm move-out date.

For the start of a new tenancy, take meter readings just prior to start of tenancy, add them to the inventory for the incoming tenant to accept or advise you of difference within 2 days of occupancy and, once tenanted, write to services advising them of new tenant's name, address, meter reading and start date for the new tenancy. If possible at the end of the tenancy, it's a good idea to get outgoing tenant's final meter readings, new address and confirmation signature.

You could try putting on the deposit receipt at start of tenanacy one of the conditions of returning deposit is a forwarding on address which the deposit is sent to.

Then you have address to tell the utility companies and they will stop pestering you.

But that doesnt help if they dont pay last rent expecting it to come out of the deposit

You could try putting on the deposit receipt at start of tenanacy one of the conditions of returning deposit is a forwarding on address which the deposit is sent to.

Then you have address to tell the utility companies and they will stop pestering you.

But that doesnt help if they dont pay last rent expecting it to come out of the deposit

Thanks Speed - good ideas

For current utility arrears write to services and advise them that you are not responsible for bills incurred during the tenancy and include a copy of the tenancy agreement and confirm move-out date.

For the start of a new tenancy, take meter readings just prior to start of tenancy, add them to the inventory for the incoming tenant to accept or advise you of difference within 2 days of occupancy and, once tenanted, write to services advising them of new tenant's name, address, meter reading and start date for the new tenancy. If possible at the end of the tenancy, it's a good idea to get outgoing tenant's final meter readings, new address and confirmation signature.

Thanks GPEL - I will add these in for future tenants

My tenant has recently moved out, he was a nightmare never paying on time and have not paid any bills at all and now BT,EDF and the council tax are suing him. I found out from letters he left that he had a another address all the while where he took out loans and opened current accounts and credit cards for which again he has not paid off.

I am in the process of informing all the companies of his other address and the home office as he is on a student visa and I know for a fact he work all the hours in the day.

He left owing me £1700, from which I took £800 from the deposit, but he still owes £900. He also said to take the last months rent from the deposit but what about any damage is left etc.

my reason for this post if how can you stop the tenant using the deposit to cover rent?

thanks

r

My tenant has recently moved out, he was a nightmare never paying on time and have not paid any bills at all and now BT,EDF and the council tax are suing him. I found out from letters he left that he had a another address all the while where he took out loans and opened current accounts and credit cards for which again he has not paid off.

I am in the process of informing all the companies of his other address and the home office as he is on a student visa and I know for a fact he work all the hours in the day.

He left owing me £1700, from which I took £800 from the deposit, but he still owes £900. He also said to take the last months rent from the deposit but what about any damage is left etc.

my reason for this post if how can you stop the tenant using the deposit to cover rent?

thanks

r

TRICKY ONE

You could make sure you get a guarrentor next time who is a house owner it at least gives you someone else to chase up for mssing cash . I`m sure as soon the guarentor starts get being asked for the money + he has thrown a few f-----ks done the phone to the tenant you might get some reponce.

Archived