I have no tenancy agreement

findoutmore

I have been renting a self contained studio for several months. I do not have a written tenancy agreement. I have only a rent book. In this circumstance I would like to know if my landlord is entitled to have a key of my door. I prefer that he does not have it to prevent theft.

I would like to know how much notice my landlord has to give me if he wants to enter in my studio.

I would like to know also how much notice I have to give to him if I want to leave my studio. I pay monthly.

I would like to know how much notice my landlord has to give me if he wants that I leave the studio.

I would like to know which laws deal with these issues

So what was agreed verbally when you moved in? Were you given a lodger agreement? Did you pay a deposit?

Do you pay council tax, have your own electric/gas meter/water meter with bills in your name?

The answers to these questions may determine the type of tenancy you have and that will lead on to specific answers.

Regarding key to the front door - most landlords have keys to their properties - what would happen if you lost the key and wanted to get in!

Does your landlord live in the same building?

The following answers assume not, but may be very different if he does.

Your landlord may enter the property to view its condition by giving 24 hours written notice (section 11, 1985 Landlord and Tenant Act)

The landlord may enter the property to effect repairs (section 16, 1988 Housing Act) and that makes no specific notice requirements.

If you wish to leave (and assuming rent paid monthly) then your notice depends on when you move in. Let us say you moved in on the 15th March. Your first tenancy period would run from the 15th March to 14th April, your second one would be 15/4 to 14/5 etc. You must give at least one months notice in writing and your last day of liability will be the last day of a tenancy period. So, in this instance, if you gave notice tomorrow (20th Aug) your notice would expire on the 14th October (because 14 Sep is less than a month). (Common Law)

Your landlord must give you at least 2 months notice (again ending on the last day of a tenancy period) but that merely entitles him to apply to the court for possession after that date. If he does have to apply to the court you may be liable for the court costs etc. (Section 21, 1988 Housing Act)

Archived