CGT

maureen

I HAVE A PROPERTY THAT I HAVE RENTED OUT FOR THE LAST 7 YRS SINCE OWNERSHIP.

I WILL BE MOVEING OUT OF MY PPR AND INTO THE RENTED PROPERTY WHICH IS NOW VACANT AND MAKEING IT MY PPR, WILL I BE LIABLE FOR CGT ON MY NEW PPR AS IT WAS RENTED BEFORE I MOVED IN.THANKS :unsure:

Hi Henry

Once you move into the 'rented property' and elect as your PPR (this must be done within 2 years of being newly available), then that period of ownership will be covered by PPR relief, therefore if you live in the property for the next 5 years then sell it, then 5/12ths of the gain on sale will be entitled to PPR relief.

Incidentally, if you only live in it for the next two years, but didnt sell it for five years it would be the same fraction since the last 36 months will be covered by PPR relief by virtue of having lived in the property.

After taking into account PPR relief you will also be entitled to Lettings Relief as you have rented out a property which at some point will have been your PPR, lettings relief is a maximum of £40k per per owner(amount given depends on other figures calculated) - so if you own the property with a partner then £40k (max) each.

I hope this helps

Regards

Sherena

Hi Henry

Once you move into the 'rented property' and elect as your PPR (this must be done within 2 years of being newly available), then that period of ownership will be covered by PPR relief, therefore if you live in the property for the next 5 years then sell it, then 5/12ths of the gain on sale will be entitled to PPR relief.

Incidentally, if you only live in it for the next two years, but didnt sell it for five years it would be the same fraction since the last 36 months will be covered by PPR relief by virtue of having lived in the property.

After taking into account PPR relief you will also be entitled to Lettings Relief as you have rented out a property which at some point will have been your PPR, lettings relief is a maximum of £40k per per owner(amount given depends on other figures calculated) - so if you own the property with a partner then £40k (max) each.

I hope this helps

Regards

Sherena

Hi Henry

I hope this helps

Regards

Sherena

THANK YOU SHERENA VERY HELPFULL

THANK YOU SHERENA I FOUND YOUR REPLY VERY HELPFULL. H

Archived