who owns my flat?

scatterbrain

Can anyone help me on this taxing conundrum

My wife inherited £50K from her father, I used it as the deposit and to extend the lease on a BTL. The property is in my name though as all the equity is hers - can I put the rental income on her tax return ?

(I pay at the higher rate, she does'nt)

Should I put her name on the deeds or is this unnecessary, is there another way?

thanks Tom

Hi

The profits belong to the person who owns the flat, ie you, however, there is a way around it.

Go to your solicitor and have a Declaration of Trust drawn up - it will probably cost a couple of hundred quid, but worth doing. If you put say 1% of the ownership of the property in your wifes name, then automatically the profits will be shared 50:50

If you want more that 50% of the profits to go to your wife, then you will need to do a Declaration of Trust giving her a larger share, and then do a Beneficial ownership form (Form 17) with H M Revenue and Customs match the amount, ie. if you want her to have 99% of profits, Dec of Trust will show her with 99% of ownership and Form 17 submitted to HMRC will show 99% of profits.

It is an oddity with the tax system that unless a form 17 is done any husband and wife joint ownership - in whatever proportion, profits would be 50:50.

Unfortunately you cant just give her 1% and then do a form 17 giving her 99% of income - broadly, profits would be either 50:50 or follow the ownership proportions.

A Declaration of Trust saves going to land registry to change the deeds - alot less hassle.

And I would not suggest putting 100% in her name - retain at least 1% of the property

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Sherena

Archived