Tenancy agreement for lodger

awestley

Hi. I'm about to rent out a room with in my flat to a lodger. There will only to the lodger and myself living at the flat. I need some advise please regarding a suitable tenancy agreement that covers how to evict the tenant, when the rent is to be paid, friends staying over, noise, paying rent on time (the rent is to cover all bills).

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I'm about to rent out a room with in my flat to a lodger. There will only to the lodger and myself living at the flat. I need some advise please regarding a suitable tenancy agreement that covers how to evict the tenant, when the rent is to be paid, friends staying over, noise, paying rent on time (the rent is to cover all bills).

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi

under no circumstances should you give an assured shorthold tenancy agreement to a lodger. Put another way, you should not give any rights to a lodger. He is not the same as a tenant. With a tenant, you have the right to claim your property back under section 21 of the housing act. With a lodger, its your home, your space, and really, he has few if any rights, and two weeks notice is all you need if you want to be correct. If you want to map out your rules on a piece of paper and get him to sign that’s fine, so that he knows, and you can include that you are giving him licence to lodge in your home.

I hope this helps

Ed

Archived