Landlord doesn't care

Stella

Well, you probably aren't going to like the answer BUT, it seems from your post that your landlady has done what is required of her by requesting that the upstairs tenants keep the noise dYourown.

Your landlady isn't making the noise, she isn't responsible for the noise and other than ask them to be quieter there isn't anything she can do.

She cannot evict them if they are still in the fixed term of their rental contract.

So, its down to you to move elsewhere. You have my sympathy but if you have been in touch with the environmental health department of your local council then you hae run out of options.

Good luck.

Thank you, Richlist.

Still shocked about the way tenants are treated. But yes, seems the only option for me: to move. Very sad, I loved this flat, but I just can't take it anymore. Some people (noisy neighbours) need a good clip around their ears. Seriously. The ones beforehand were even worse. Loud music and parties until the morning hours at the weekends. I'm fed up with those kind of people. I was 25 once, too, but I would have been mortified if someone would have been disturbed by me.

Noise does tend on travel downwards so flats on lower floors notice an issue much more than flats above. A few comments/ tips:

1. Top floor flats are likely to be quieter than lower floors.

2. Modern building regs require quite considerable levels of insulation/sound proofing.....something older flats don't have. The newer the flat, the better the sound proofing......but usually the more expensive.

3. Try to avoid houses converted into flats.......they will often be noisier than purpose built flats UNLESS its a very recent conversion (with lots of sound proofing).

3. There will never be a guarantee that you will not have the same situation wherever you move to.

Good luck.

I know. I'm just so annoyed because I didn't have the problems with three sets of guys. It's girls who started to become a problem. Problem is: there's always someone who doesn't know what respect is.

Thank you, though. I hope I'll be better off with the next flat.

Guest caravanj

Thank you, Richlist.

Still shocked about the way tenants are treated. But yes, seems the only option for me: to move. Very sad, I loved this flat, but I just can't take it anymore. Some people (noisy neighbours) need a good clip around their ears. Seriously. The ones beforehand were even worse. Loud music and parties until the morning hours at the weekends. I'm fed up with those kind of people. I was 25 once, too, but I would have been mortified if someone would have been disturbed by me.

I think it's time for a law that tenants should be able to withhold the rent until the landlord sorts out the problem. That hurts landlords the most. Two written warnings, still no improvents -- no rent. Simple. Sad that people can't pay some respect to their fellow housemates.

Don't you think landlords wouldn't love to have the power to say "2 strikes & you're out". It would be impossible to bring in a law that held a landlord responsible for the actions of a tenant unless the landlord was given all the powers of the police & local authorities.

I lived in an up-market area in the South East where all the properties were owner-occupied but I had to endure noisy parties that went on till 4am & could be heard 2 roads away!

Probably one of the reasons I would never buy to let. Or if so, I would make sure that my tenants get on well. Happy tenants, happy landlord. less stress if they feel home in their flats, they're less likely to move out on a yearly basis. The problems were known and the agents basically ignored my pleas to find someone who's not into parties and seeks quiet. Not that they are having parties, but their staying up 'til late and being rather inconsiderate throughout is what makes my life hell.

I have parties from across the road, that's in the night once in a while and I have my earplugs. All fine. The stomping is what drives me mad and it can happen to keep up for up to 12 hours, constant moving around and dropping something that sounds like bricks, heavy stuff and everything shakes down hear. The glass in my iguana's vivarium rattles.

Archived