agent has failed to register deposit

russell 1

Help.I am owed first months rent that i know has been paid to the agent,4 weeks earlier.I have had all the excuses but no money so i am changing to another LA. I have been informed from the new LA that no deposit has been paid to the DPS although the new tennants have paid the funds to the old LA.It has also come to light that the tennants that have just left the property have not recieved their deposit back yet after an agreement was reached for a deduction for the bad state of the garden,their deposit money had been taken at the start of their tennance by the LA ,and i had been charged by the LA for it to be deposited with a scheme,DPS i think,but it appeares that the money was never deposited by the LA.I have another tennent in asecond property that was let though the same LA, i fear their deposit has not been deposited although again i have been charged for it.Where do i stand,am i liable, what do i do??

The agent should not charge you for lodging the money with the DPS since that is a FREE service costing the agent nothing but a couple of minutes time online! The money leaves the agent and is deposited with the DPS. If the money has not been deposited with the DPS then you need to start legal action against tne agent immediately because ultimately YOU are liable to pay the deposit back to the tenant.

Is it possible for you to visit the agent in person and find out what is going on?

I would concour with Lyndon's comments and also say it is you that will be paying back the deposit money in the event of the LA doing a bunk so get cracking and find out what is going on. Let us know how you resolve this please.

Mel.

Archived