Advice Please

Ted

Hi

I found new tenants, they're 'a couple' - boyfriend & girlfriend - but not husband & wife.

The man is a professional, credit reference is ok. His girlfriend is a student, with no proof for credit reference.

So, what should I do with the rental contract?

(1) use joint names on the rental agreement? But what if they break up, will he liable to pay his girlfriend's rent?

(2) shall I ask the man soley responisble for the rent, but allow his girlfriend to stay with him, so if he leaves, she will have no right to stay, correct?

I prefer to do (2), so the agreement is only between me and the man, but what wording should I use on the rental agreement to allow his girfriend to stay?

Your prompt advice will be much appreciated!

Ted

Joint names for me on any contract.

If your Man tenant leaves then his "Girlfriend" may stay on and cause you no end of problems in getting her to leave.

Mel.

Joint names for me on any contract.

If your Man tenant leaves then his "Girlfriend" may stay on and cause you no end of problems in getting her to leave.

Mel.

Hi Mel

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So, will I able to add a clause on the rental contract saying that the Man tenant will be responsible for paying the full amount of the rent? Will it protect me better by adding such a clause in this Joint Names Rental Agreement?

If it is workable, what wordings should I use?

Many thanks for your advice!

Ted

I agree with Mel, both names on contract.

I would avoid adding a specific clause about who pays - it should not be your problem - and extra words could tie you up. That leaves it clear that it's their joint responsibility to fund the rent, whoever may actually be paying.

If the girl friend is a (young?) student I would ask her to get someone (e.g. a parent) to act as a guarantor for her.

Yeh definitely the 2, and a guarantor to cover BOTH not just the girl.

Just because he's a 'professional' means nothing! They can sometimes be the worst!

Archived