Perks of the online agent?

j_simons

I have used online letting agents over the years and I have never been successful at all which of course doesn't mean you won't be.

I have had, of course, people apply but I am sorry to report they did not meet my criteria of a safe bet for a Tenant.

Mel.

I had a property on HOUSELADDER for 12 months and only ever got sales calls and not one proper query. Admittedly this was for a sale rather than a letting but i'm sure they are all pretty much the same.

It was the worst £149 I ever spent!! Never again.

My personal opinion (now) of property portals that promise 4 million customers will look at your property every HOUR is that most of the 4m will probably live in the outer Hebrides. You need more local advertising rather than a Nationwide service. I'm all for sticking with agents (obviously!) but shop around a bit and try doing a deal.

Simon has some fair advice on this subject and may be able to point you in the correct direction of how to barter with agents to get the best deal. It 'may' work for you and save you money in the long run.

Gareth

I had a property on HOUSELADDER for 12 months and only ever got sales calls and not one proper query. Admittedly this was for a sale rather than a letting but i'm sure they are all pretty much the same.

It was the worst £149 I ever spent!! Never again.

My personal opinion (now) of property portals that promise 4 million customers will look at your property every HOUR is that most of the 4m will probably live in the outer Hebrides. You need more local advertising rather than a Nationwide service. I'm all for sticking with agents (obviously!) but shop around a bit and try doing a deal.

Simon has some fair advice on this subject and may be able to point you in the correct direction of how to barter with agents to get the best deal. It 'may' work for you and save you money in the long run.

Gareth

I have a flat currently for sale on Houseladder and it has been on for 2 Months now and I have had not one enquiry. I took advantage of their free listing but I also happen to know you will get at least one enquiry pretending to be someone interested but in fact it will probably be the local agent looking for his/ her commission because if you reply you have to upgrade and that will cost you money to do so.

There are so many of these online agents now all stating figures which just don't add up and the cost normally £499 is a waste of money imo.

I use a local letting agent and I barter the price he is going to charge me (and he knows it :angry: ) but it is all in good humour, I get what I want and he gets what he wants......sorted! That's business.

(oops! musn't tell Trenners tooo much! :D )

Mel.

I dont think it is any secret that i am no fan of LA's .....quite the opposite ...

When i can find one who can do the job as well as me then perhaps i'll think about using one !!

As they are "experts" in their field they should be able to do the job as well as me as a start point ....sadly i have yet to find one who can perform to an adequate level .....

You would be well advised to vet any agent you maybe thinking of using thoroughly including refs from other LL that use the agent .....

And ask about procedures to collect late rent - eviction- damge- awols- inspections -

you will find out pretty qucikly if they are any good !

Most will have no systems in place..

Disclaimer : Apparently there are a few good ones out there - just i have never managed to find one !!!

Simon

Disclaimer : Apparently there are a few good ones out there - just i have never managed to find one !!!

Ha! Thats exactly why I'm looking t move online. I am seriously thinking about these guys. I spoke with them on the phone and its not an agency as such but they are looking to offer more services to landlords etc, and it free at the moment o put you property on.

what do you think?

Ha! Thats exactly why I'm looking t move online. I am seriously thinking about these guys. I spoke with them on the phone and its not an agency as such but they are looking to offer more services to landlords etc, and it free at the moment o put you property on.

what do you think?

Same old story with all of these Pure Internet Letting Agents. I put in 6 postcodes (SN1, PO1, SN5 and so on ) from around the Country and up came "no properties" which reinforces exactly what I was saying before that there are so many of these internet Letting Agents around now that it has become an oversupply of agents with nothing on their books.

OK this one is free to advertise but so are many others and the story stays the same.

Mel.

Same old story with all of these Pure Internet Letting Agents. I put in 6 postcodes (SN1, PO1, SN5 and so on ) from around the Country and up came "no properties" which reinforces exactly what I was saying before that there are so many of these internet Letting Agents around now that it has become an oversupply of agents with nothing on their books.

OK this one is free to advertise but so are many others and the story stays the same.

Mel.

I see where your coming from but then they are new and not actually a letting agency but more of a developing online resource for landlords with plans to expand services (according to them anyway) so that does change the equation slightly.

It will be interesting to see exactly what they offer to stand out because you are right; it is a busy space with lots of sites not covering bases. It could work more a supplementary tool rather than an agency I suppose? For now i think it doesn't hurt having your property on as many websites as possible anyway (or let me know if i am missing something!) Their site design suggests they are taking this somewhere. Btw my properties are not active yet (not ready for new tenants as yet) I've also been told there will be more reference on http://www.ezyletservices.co.uk/ - Equifax is already involved, I guess that's good to see..

If it's free to advertise then you have nothing to lose have you but Melboys points are very valid.

Sling them on (Simon LOVES this phrase haha) and see what happens but don't hold your breath for too many results!

Maybe this person doesn't have the spare time Simon that you 'obviously' have on your hands to self manage.

Good comment though, it's always nice to give people ALL the information so they can make an informed decision.

Not sure what service you are after with these agents, or whether it's just the tenant finding or advertising you're after.

Sling an ad on the local gumtree website. I did this for a one bed flat I was renting and wanted to end the contract early and had to find a new tenant. The next day after putting it on I had 10 people round that night in about an hour and someone took it the next morning and the letting agent couldn't beleive how many people contacted them about it and wondered what I'd done.

Gumtree has come on miles since about a year ago, loads of people are using it.

I always use Gumtree for my rooms I rent out in HMOs and get the most amount of enquireies from it, more than paying sites such as Spareroom.co.uk.

Do a google search for the type of property and area your prop is in. The sites on the first page are where you need to be advertising!

Ciao!

"Sling an ad on"

Luuurrrrvvvinnng the terminolgy but I think young Simon will disagree with it, (apparently it's unprofessional)

Anyways Matthew, I agree with everything you've posted here!!!

Hey now ..

If we are talking about T find only that is a completely different matter !!!

Yep "Sling" an ad on ! (terminology absolutely acceptable for forum use - maybe not in "professional" marketing though!)

While they are FREE advertise on as many as you can be bothered "pasting " your description onto ......Whatever it takes to get the phone ringing then ..it's up to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But will also mention that with the exception of 1 agent ...once found i take over ...for referencing and signing of all docs (MY DOCS not theirs ....!!!)

Yep Gumtree OKAY Mat, but for rooms I find a good stream of people from easyroomate.com .....costs £5O odd quid a year but i get 3-20 mails a day from potential people and dont really have rooms empty for more than a few days !

and £50 is less than an agent will charge for finding just ONE....!

Also find in general that agents aren't over enthusiastic about filling rooms in shared houses (on sep ast's) and dont want to manage them as they actually have to do some work !!!!LOL

so J simons

Are you lust looking for T find for each prop or full management (you know gaurd of the crown jewels!!!)????

Simon

"Yep "Sling" an ad on ! (terminology absolutely acceptable for forum use - maybe not in "professional" marketing though!)"

oh I see, it's ok now someone else uses it hey!! hehe

For Simon's benefit this one

I have just checked all my paperwork, previous newspaper adverts, promotional material etc and can't see that I have used the words 'sling it on' in ANY OF MY PROFESSIONAL MARKETING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously the PM system I used when you asked if I could find you a Tenant stood for 'PROFESSIONAL MARKETING' and not for 'PRIVATE MESSAGE' as I thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For J4L 's benefit

Forum---open discussion ..banter ....casual

Professional Marketing--- courting business for one's income !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to buy some furniture from me it is unlikely that at any time you will hear me say " I'll "sling" it on the back of the van for you "!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just looking to get tenant in ASAP and then probably a full managment service in the hear future

Yep definately "sling" as many as you can on ....just get the phone ringing .....

If not many or none appear in a search of your postcode on a site then consider this ...

2 shoe salesmen arrived in africa some years ago

the first said " I'm doomed , no one here wears shoes..."

the second said " I'm about to get very rich, no one here is wearing shoes...."

There is a message in there somewhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

yeh right!!!!

NOW who's talking B******s??

Haha,

You really are a dumb t**t aren't you!!!

Sling an Ad on, I like it! :D

Interestingly I used a LA on a property I completed on recently was out the country and the agent did nothing in 5 weeks they only got 1 viewing! They slung? it on Rightmove and that was it.... I immediately changed LA to a new independant family run business and in just a a couple of days have had 3 viewings and 1 looks definite to be back for 2nd viewing.

In my limited experience I've found that if you are going to use a LA smaller independant possibly family run ones are more focused and keen for your business than larger firms with big showrooms who may as you say just sling it in the window and hope for the best;)

Talking of online sites as mentioned in this thread thats interesting I came across a similar subject on another property forum whereby the User was considering whether to self-manage, quit LA's altogether to save money or use a similar online source to advertise their portfolio..they came to their own conclusion to use the online source which they first mentioned...interesting but not effective enough as most post codes aren't covered and I don't think enough potential (tenants) serious visitors use them.

2 shoe salesmen arrived in africa some years ago

the first said " I'm doomed , no one here wears shoes..."

the second said " I'm about to get very rich, no one here is wearing shoes...."

FOR THE HARD OF INTERPRETATION:

There's a gap in the market but is there a market in the gap...

My point Simon was,

Nothing in my paperwork, advertising, marketing says 'i'll sling' anything on anywhere!!

My comment to YOU was via a PM (That stands for private message, Not Professional Marketing)

YOU were the one that made my comment public and tried to discredit me in front of other forum users.

I have built up some very nice relationships with my Landlords in the first couple of meetings and then can usually judge 'how' to communicate effectively and appropriately with them. Sometimes I will call the Landlord 'Mr . . .' Sometimes I will address them with their 'Christian Name' and occasionally, very occasionally I will call them 'mate'.

Now this is MY decisioin and it works well for me, I haven't got it wrong as yet!

My 'mistake' here was to think that we'd crossed that introduction bridge and had exchanged views, ideas etc and had moved onto another level. If I chose to talk 'more casually' with you then I was very much mistaken, for the 1st time, (I might add)

We learn and move on, or at least I do.

I love the way YOU accuse ME of being a PETULANT CHILD at times. I think you should read some of your own points.

They usually take the form of 'MY WAY . . . . . OR THE HIGHWAY'

Once I owned a catering company and had organised a night out for the staff, it was a dinner suit evening and a lot of them were hiring because they didn't have a DJ.

One of the staff told me they were going into town and pick his suit up and whilst he was there he was going to buy a 'cummerband' I recall saying to this person 'Actually it's cummerbUnd and not BAND,' to spare his blushes when visiting the shop.

He was adamant that he was correct and argued that he'd worked in Menswear for 10 years and SHOULD know what it was called by now and continued to attempt to prove his point with me all the drive home. Once we arrived at his house he asked me to wait so he could go and get his dictionary to show me the correct spelling which I did.

On finding that he was wrong his retort was this

'Well I say cummerband, i've always said cummerband the dictionary MUST BE WRONG, If I want to call it cummerband I will'

petulance personified!!!

Are there no mirrors in your house?

You are too set in your ways, you are NEVER wrong and you think because you've had 'some' experiences that the way you handle things is ALWAYS correct.

Unfortunately, my friend you couldn't be further from the truth!!!

I don't argue with people I merely try and put another point of view across so people make 'informed decisions' as to how to deal with their problems. They choose! I don't push my point on them and try and sway them in their decisions as you do by slating anyone that disagrees with you. You insinuate that your word is gospel.

It's not!! Well not in THIS world anyway. It's JUST another Point of View.

You insinuate that your word is gospel

Not at all! People come on here looking for realistic practical advice a lot of the time ....not a high moral Bxxxxxg..or to have their post "scored" ...!

as so often seems to happen .....

I think it is more prudent to turn over a few more stones than most and as you regularly see me do on here ....not follow the crowd, play devils advocate and maybe consider a few more options ......

there is always more than one way to skin a cat ..and people should, as always, take the bits they like and ignore the rest .....

I don't argue with people

I am honoured to be the only one that you do this with then !!!!

As we have both agreed many times in the past ..it takes different opinions to have discussion ....and i think it is safe to say our opinions are very different .....the banter just makes it more fun to exchange them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggestion:

[u]"You really are a dumb t**t aren't you!!!"

Please dont give it out... if you cant take it back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dumb" now was that "non verbal" or "of low intelligence" as neither apply (check my sig!) and a word which i in fact find highly offensive as my son is "non verbal autistic", and I would appreciate it if you could use a more appropiate adjective on future ocassions.

"TxxT" was that a TWIT or Twit with an "a" in it? maybe, but this is an opinion rather than a fact ( which you are entitled to...as right or wrong as it may be ....!!)

Gareth - Nice to have you back on the forum mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Til the next time (which I'm sure wont be to long !!!)

Simon

I apologise if you find my use of the word 'dumb' as offensive.

Had I been talking about your son then offensive it would have been had I known of his condition. As I did not then it can't be construed as such.

As I was talking about you then I shan't apologise for it because my dictionary gives one of the meanings as

''regarded as having or showing a low level of intelligence''

And as for the word t**t, you work it out!!!!

I think it is more prudent to turn over a few more stones than most and as you regularly see me do on

there is always more than one way to skin a cat ..and people should, as always, take the bits they like and ignore the rest .....

I totally agree with this, you don't always do this though do you. like I've said you sometimes only have YOUR way!!!

not follow the crowd, play devils advocate and maybe consider a few more options ......

Yeh this is what I do!!!

Suggestion:

"You really are a dumb t**t aren't you!!!"

Please dont give it out... if you cant take it back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I can take it aswell as dish it, no worries of that.

Archived