Renewals gap 2013 to 2016

stevethejanner02

In April 2013 HMRC suddenly stopped the tax allowance for furnishings /white goods in unfurnished residential properties, it was a concession and not a lawful  relief. On 6 April 2016 a new tax relief was introduced for furnishings, white goods etc, Costs of replacing domestic items for residential lettings only. My question, is there going to be any retrospective allowance going to be given by HMRC for this period  April 2013 to April 2016 when there was no kind of  tax relief/allowance in place. It seems wrong that you could claim, in my case for carpets  up to 5 April 2013, and from 6 April 2016, but not the time in between. I had to buy carpets in 2015 so I was caught right in the middle.

steve the janner02

Your description is not my understanding of the changes to allowances.

I remember the 10% wear and tear allowance being cancelled for furnished property. But I dont recall unfurnished expenses being cancelled.

Can you post a link of the changes you suggest ?

I have whinged on this forum about this situation in the past. As you say, HMRC took away what was a legitimate expense on 5 April 2013 regarding the replacement of white goods etc. We had to live with it.

HMRC said they would keep this “removed concession” under close review and in April 2016 they again gave us a route to book white goods etc. against revenue.

As far as I understand, but I am not an accountant, there is no way that we are allowed to claim these expenses for those 3 years.

Archived