Tenancy Information Pack

tony009

Hi, I am in the process of compiling a 'tenant information pack' for my 1st ever tenant due to go in on the 1st june 2006. So far i have included the councils own printed bin days info and also the manual for the cooker -what else should i include to assist the new tenant and make her move a bit easier?

Many thanks for any advice.

Tenants manual can include:

Meter locations; addresses for utility emergencies; local authority data and bins recycling etc.; keys and locks; central heating controls; stop cocks; gas certificate (if app.); electricity certificate (if app.); list of included instruction manuals (e.g. fridge, cooker, smoke alarm (battery), shower, etc) ; general instructions;garden; amenity instructions; residents code of conduct (if app.); owner contacts; inventory (dated); etc. etc.

I do tenants guides in Word for client editing, including illustrations if required. If you would like me to do one for you (I'm in W Mids area) please leave me a message.

Instruction manuals for gas appliances should of course be included in the pack if at all possible. However I don't think it is a legal requirement, according to HSE website, and instruction manuals are not mentioned on the mandatory annual gas check certificate.

At any rate the landlord should have an obligation to explain to a new tenant how gas appliances, (and any other safety critical items) are operated in a safe manner. If there is no manual available, these explanations should be repeated in the landlord's written instructions.

If in doubt, it is usually possible to obtain replacement instructions for any appliance from its manufacturer or his recommended agent. I believe they are obliged to supply.

Many thanks for all the replies -especially the one about the stop-cock! (good advice).

As for the gas safety -well here im a lucky one (at least from the eyes of being a landlord) as the property is 100% electric -PLUS i have just recieved my NICEIC certificate for this so that i can at least show 'due diligence' should anything go wrong in that department (at the cert lasts for 10 years!).

One again thanks for all the help to all who replied.

Tony.

Archived